Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Moreno
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Seeking Seasoned Real Estate CPA

Michael Moreno
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Apr 21 2024, 02:37

Hi everyone,

As I meticulously track my rental property expenses, I've come to realize the complexity involved in managing taxes independently. To ensure accuracy and compliance, I've decided to seek the expertise of a seasoned real estate CPA. Ideally, I'm looking for someone who shares my passion for the industry and possesses firsthand experience as a property owner.

My property, a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom dwelling, serves as both my residence and a source of supplementary income through room rentals. I've already completed the meticulous tasks of prorating, square footage calculations, and expense tracking.

If you're a real estate CPA with a penchant for the field and a desire to forge a meaningful professional relationship, I'm eager to connect with you. Let's discuss how we can collaborate effectively. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 21 2024, 06:27
Quote from @Michael Moreno:

This is a pretty common scenario that I would think any CPA could handle.

@Natalie Kolodij or @Yonah Weiss?

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 21 2024, 10:51

House hacking makes your tax situation more complex.
You purchased a property that is treated as both an investment property and a personal residence. As such, payments that you make need to be prorated between business deductions and personal deductions.

Payments that you make normally fall into one of 3 buckets
100% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return
Partial payment can be factored somewhere on the return
0% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return

House-hacking also has considerable tax implications in the event that you want to sell this property.

You can potentially defer a portion or all of the gain on the investment property with 1031 exclusion.
You can potentially exclude a portion or all of the gain on the personal residence with section 121 exclusion.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:07

@Michael Moreno

On another thread that you started https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1182951-seeki... I tried to tell you that house-hacking rooms will NOT create any loss on your tax return. Seems like my message did not register. No savvy/seasoned/magical CPA can change this rule for you.

Also, your request for CPAs to contact you essentially invites us to break the BiggerPockets rules. We are NOT allowed to contact you - publicly or privately - even after you post such a request. You must identify people you want to work with yourself and start the conversation from your end. 

Yes, some CPAs will contact you via PM regardless of the BP rules. Well, it's up to them to honor the rules. And up to you to choose to work with someone who ignores the rules.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Moreno
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:24
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

This is a pretty common scenario that I would think any CPA could handle.

@Natalie Kolodij or @Yonah Weiss?

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the contacts, I will reach out to them. I have all the prorating and expense tracking ready so that I can make the CPA’s job easier. I heard they charge more for messy preparation. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Moreno
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:26
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

House hacking makes your tax situation more complex.
You purchased a property that is treated as both an investment property and a personal residence. As such, payments that you make need to be prorated between business deductions and personal deductions.

Payments that you make normally fall into one of 3 buckets
100% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return
Partial payment can be factored somewhere on the return
0% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return

House-hacking also has considerable tax implications in the event that you want to sell this property.

You can potentially defer a portion or all of the gain on the investment property with 1031 exclusion.
You can potentially exclude a portion or all of the gain on the personal residence with section 121 exclusion.

Yes I have read about all the cons about house hacking. I am well aware about all the depreciation recapture, deductions on business use, etc. I am just looking to reach out to a CPA that can do my returns every year. I am afraid I might make a mistake on filing my return with prorating. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Moreno
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:29
Quote from @Michael Plaks:

@Michael Moreno

On another thread that you started https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1182951-seeki... I tried to tell you that house-hacking rooms will NOT create any loss on your tax return. Seems like my message did not register. No savvy/seasoned/magical CPA can change this rule for you.

Also, your request for CPAs to contact you essentially invites us to break the BiggerPockets rules. We are NOT allowed to contact you - publicly or privately - even after you post such a request. You must identify people you want to work with yourself and start the conversation from your end. 

Yes, some CPAs will contact you via PM regardless of the BP rules. Well, it's up to them to honor the rules. And up to you to choose to work with someone who ignores the rules.

Hi Michael,

I read your reply a while back about not having a loss in my return. I totally understood that just for the record.

Thanks for letting me know that CPA’s can’t reach out to me per BiggerPockets rules. I just haven’t had any luck locally with anyone so figured I’d reach out here. I’d rather have a CPA do my return since I am afraid I will screw up on prorating my expenses and get audited by the IRS.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:52
I just haven’t had any luck locally with anyone so figured I’d reach out here. I’d rather have a CPA do my return since I am afraid I will screw up on prorating my expenses and get audited by the IRS. 
There're some popular REI CPAs in San Antonio. Ask in the San Antonio BP forum or in a local meetup.

But I don't think being local matters these days. Even our local Houston clients stopped traveling to our office post-Covid. Most real estate accountants work 100% remotely.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 22 2024, 06:53

If I could chime in to help in the search:

be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

User Stats

Votes
Fulton Abraham Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 09:04

@Michael Moreno, hi. You've come to the right place. There are over 20+ active CPAs here in Biggerpockets assisting real estate investors with their tax planning. Make sure to reach out to one by e-mail as we are no allow to self promote. 

Best

FAS CPA & Consultants Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Abeyta
  • Accountant
Votes |
  • Accountant
Replied May 7 2024, 17:15

Hi Michael; any CPA should be able to help with this level of real estate. If you’re planning to delve into more complex transactions (i.e. syndicating deals with other investors, dealing with 1031 exchanges and basis issues, etc…) you’d likely want a CPA who specializes in Partnership Tax.

Would love to connect my friend!