ADU Long Term Rental vs Airbnb tax write offs

ADU Long Term Rental vs Airbnb tax write offs

Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 5 votes

Hello, 

I am a newer real estate investor from California. I have a question regarding the tax write offs of a long term rental vs an Airbnb rental.

I am just about finished converting my garage into an ADU for a total cost of about 60k(including appliances).

Based on my limited research it appears I will only be able to depreciate these costs over a 27.5 year period if I decided to make my ADU into a long term rental. On the other hand, per my understanding I should be able to deduct all construction and appliance costs if I were to rent this ADU out as an airbnb.

So long term rental would mean 60k/27.5 = $2181 in annual depreciation.

Airbnb Rental this year would mean 60k deduction at 24% tax bracket = $14'400 tax savings.

Am I correct in this line of thinking? Or would there be certain expenses that I would not be able to deduct from the construction cost of an AIRBNB rental.

Thank you in advance bigger pockets community.

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y

    State ADU rules do not allow an ADU to be used for STR. It is possible your local jurisdiction is more lenient, but it would be the first I have heard of.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:

    State ADU rules do not allow an ADU to be used for STR. It is possible your local jurisdiction is more lenient, but it would be the first I have heard of.

    Good luck

    Thank you for that, just checked my local city of Long Beach and you are absolutely correct. I cannot operate my ADU as a short term rental.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.