SDIRA 990-T for UDFI - Advice and CPA Recommendations Needed

SDIRA 990-T for UDFI - Advice and CPA Recommendations Needed

Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 10 votes

I have a new SDIRA that invested in 2020 into a real estate syndication partnership.  I do most of my own taxes, but this is my first year with self-directed retirement accounts, and I don't have a clear understanding of the filing requirement and forms.

Because the investment I made was into a real estate syndication, there is debt financing involved. I know when the property sells and there is gain to report, I will have to file 990-T and pay UDFI on the gain. But for 2020, the K1 I received shows only a loss on line 2 due to depreciation.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I (or rather was I, since the April 15 deadline is already passed) required to file a 990-T for 2020 when my K1 showed an overall loss?

2. If I am not required to do so, should I anyway? Does that give me a loss that I can carry forward against the gain I will have when the property is sold? 

3. I probably need to get a CPA to help me with this since I'm not clear on the requirements and details. But this is a pretty small investment, and paying a substantial CPA filing fee could wipe out any potential gain I get from this investment and then some! Does anyone have a recommendation for a CPA that is familiar with SDIRAs and UDFI filing that might be able to help me out without costing me an arm and a leg? 

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel DietzPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Reedsburg, WI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 857 votes
    5y

    @Margaret Feit I am not familiar with using the SDIRA for syndications, just buy and hold rentals. I *think* you are correct that you can carry those losses forward in your case, but not sure. 

    I would contact one of the Tax or Self Directed experts here on BP, such as @Steven Hamilton II @Amanda Han (her books available here are excellent too) @Brandon Hall or

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko @Carl Fischer or @Brian Eastman.

    Your provider of your plan should also be able to guide you a bit or put you in touch with a qualified Tax Professional.

    Dan Dietz

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.