Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Stover
  • USA
Votes |
Another Californian to Austin, TX

Ryan Stover
  • USA
Posted Dec 28 2020, 14:04

Hey BP fam,

I love living in San Diego. Friends, family, surfing. BUT, as I've heard "Hate Taxes? Love Texas!"

1.) Could I buy a house in Austin, rent out all of the rooms except my room, and change my residence to TX? I want to do this so that my properties in Oregon will be taxed at the TX rate rather than CA.

2.) Could I live in my parents' old house in San Diego, right under California's nose, so I get all the benefits of California (weather, surfing, friends/family)?

Thank you and Happy 2021!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 29 2020, 09:43

@Ryan Stover if you buy a house in Austin as an owner occupant you need to live in it for at least a year or it's mortgage fraud.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Stover
  • USA
Votes |
  • USA
Replied Dec 29 2020, 11:27

Yes, I would do that and I would actually keep the room open so that the place is my domicile. I could even get a Texas driver's license and Texas Bank Account. But, if I stay in CA under the radar, would that be fine? Does CA do crazy audits of phone GPS and credit card transactions?

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Noth
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 29 2020, 11:41

@Ryan Stover going to agree with @Jordan Moorhead on this one. If you purchase with a loan as an owner occupant the intent has to be to live there or it could be considered fraud. The lender will have to do a verification of employment prior to approving the mortgage and you need to be able to prove it's a primary residence as well (driver's license address, incoming mail to the address). If you are trying to structure the taxable entity such that you pay taxes based on where the business is located you need to consult a financial planner as well as appropriate legal counsel. Those state rules can be complicated and can depend on the type of entity as well, i.e. LLC, S-Corp, C-corp, Trust, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Rasmussen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Dec 29 2020, 12:01

@Ryan Stover

You might get away with it, but it is definitely tax fraud. CA FTB is pretty clear that presence in CA other than temporary in nature constitutes residency. Additionally taking a phone call in CA is essentially impossible to be present in CA and not conduct business in CA.

User Stats

Votes
Eamonn McElroy#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Eamonn McElroy#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 29 2020, 12:21

Statute of limitations never closes on a fraudulent tax return or a return that is never filed....

And yes, this is textbook fraud.  We have (1) an intent to deceive and (2) financial gain.

Going to be hard to argue that you were in TX when cell towers in CA showed you as connected.  And yes, in the era of big data, state and local DORs have started to use cell company records during residency audits.  It's a new technique in their arsenal.  So, if you have your phone near you 24/7 like most individuals, don't lie to the authorities about where you were.

And, it's not a good look that you posted to a publicly accessible forum, under your full name, detailing your plan to defraud the CA FTB before you carried it out...

Maybe if you don't like the high taxes in CA and the tax base erosion from CA to TX, you and your friends should organize and work to change the CA tax rates and laws.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 29 2020, 12:38

@Ryan Stover

You're thinking about several levels of fraud. Of course you might be able to get away with it, but it would remain fraudulent.

This is one of the 120 reasons we Texans do not want any Californians here. :) Unless you're willing to legitimately move here and contribute to our economy and culture.

User Stats

Votes
Rion Redinger
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Amboy, WA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Amboy, WA
Replied Dec 29 2020, 23:59

@Ryan Stover

The only way I see to take advantage of both environments (TX tax freedom and CA beach and weather) is to move to Texas and frequently travel to CA to vacation / business trip, but make sure to make Texas your home in all ways. All these other folks have the authority to give you the legal ways you could get in trouble, this is just my way of looking at it from a different point of view.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 30 2020, 07:42

@Ryan Stover yes that's still fraud even if you have a room open. I've heard that it's punishable by up to a year in jail, and you've left a trail of intent on a public internet forum. Jail would be the ultimate househack though!