How to manage taxes on first rental

How to manage taxes on first rental

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote

I was approved to buy a second house to live in so that I can rent out where I currently live. I am going to try and rent the house I currently live in for $1700 a month and my monthly payment is $1321. I am new and trying to figure out costs for the rental and the biggest question I have is will I have to pay income tax on the rent? I plan on forming and LLC and letting the cash flow build up, so that I can save for future expenses. Any direction or resource would be greatly appreciated!

**the $1321 includes my current escrow account with property tax and homeowners insurance.

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill HamptonBusiness Member
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
5y

Anthony, 

You will pay taxes on any profit after deducting all expenses. Many investors show a paper loss after all expenses are deducted. 

I recommend hiring an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation to ensure you get every deduction you're entitled to and to reduce your taxes. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 

Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    5y

    Anthony, 

    You will pay taxes on any profit after deducting all expenses. Many investors show a paper loss after all expenses are deducted. 

    I recommend hiring an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation to ensure you get every deduction you're entitled to and to reduce your taxes. 

    Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg PA · Member since 2020 · 119 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    You will most certainly have to claim rental income. Just keep track of ever penny that you spend on the house once you put it into service as a rental (i.e. who pays water, sewer?). I would recommend seeing an accountant for further guidance.

    How much equity do you have in the old property? If you have over 20% it may be advantageous to open up a HELOC Just to have a safety net in case of major repairs. just to hold you over until you can build up a decent cash reserve. Just food for thought since you mentioned you're concern about future expenses.

    TIP: open the HELOC now while it is still your primary residence. It Will be much more difficult to find a lender to do a HELOC as an investment property.

    cheers

  • Investor · Ventura CA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    you have to pay taxes on profit. However if you are paying a lot of taxes in this game you doing something wrong. Depreciation, mortgage interest, repairs etc. are all deducted against income. 

  • Ahad AliPro Member
    CPA/Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    You definitely have to report the rental income on your tax returns and pay taxes on it accordingly to how much profit you had for the year. However, there are a slew of expenses you could use to lower the profit even potentially yielding a loss depending on your expenses. Please speak with an accountant/CPA who has experience working preparing returns focusing around rental income. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Anthony Jones

    You want to see if your 1st home that was a primary residence is eligible for 121 exclusion. if it is, you may want to consider taking advantage of it.

    Regarding rental properties - they need to be reported on your tax return. You may want to consider connecting with a CPA to help you make sure you are taking advantage of all your eligible deductions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.