Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carl Millsap
  • Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
Need A Legal Work Around To Close A Deal

Carl Millsap
  • Investor
  • Midwest
Posted

We have a contract on a property. The owner has the property in an LLC that has been dissolved by the State because they haven't filed annual reports or taxes since they set-up the LLC.

The owner filed to have the LLC reinstated but the State Revenue office denied the request stating they must file taxes for the previous years, pay any back taxes and penalties.

The owner wants to close the deal before the end of year.

Is it possible to have the LLC which has been dissolved quitclaim the deed to the owner so we can close the deal?

Do you know of any other way to transfer the property?

User Stats

Votes
David Wandel
  • Real estate investor
  • Pasadena, MD
Votes |
  • Real estate investor
  • Pasadena, MD
Replied

You could buy the LLC, which would also save all closing costs. The downside to this is that you are inheriting all the liabilities of the LLC. If this was the only property the LLC owned and all that wasn't done was filing the annual reports I wouldn't think it would be too much. Here , in Maryland , the annual reports are $300 a year. If the LLC owns additional properties this won't work.

You could always adjust the price down based on some projections of any possible liabilities.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied

No location provided. You'll want to pull the relevant state law on corporations/LLCs and determine if the surviving members of the LLC have the authority to convey as part of the winding-up process.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied

@Carl Millsap best bet is not to make this your problem. If he wants to close before the end of the year he will fix it. I think buying the LLC would prevent any kind of 1031 later too.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Morris
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Replied
Originally posted by @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

@Carl Millsap best bet is not to make this your problem. If he wants to close before the end of the year he will fix it. I think buying the LLC would prevent any kind of 1031 later too.

100%

User Stats

Votes
Carl Millsap
  • Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Midwest
Replied

@David Wandel @Tom Gimer @Jonathan R McLaughlin Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.