Cpa says I have to paymyself through my mmllc?

Cpa says I have to paymyself through my mmllc?

Murrieta, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

My wife and I just bought a duplex in the state of Iowa, we set up a mmllc to put on title of said property. I called a friend who is a cpa, he told me I would have to pay myself, which would mean extra taxes.( The property only brings in 1450 a month with a 950 mortgage.) From my research I have personally done the llc is just an extension of my personal income. And I dont have to " pay myself" as it is a pass through entity. He said he didnt know much about the llc setup, and I tend to believe him. As I believe this info is untrue in my case. Am I wrong in my assumptions. Am I not understanding something. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

You get what you paid for...and "friendly" advice is often incomplete. There's a big difference between a LLC and MMLLC. This will provide you with more detailed information:

https://gusto.com/blog/start-business/multi-member-llc

It's hard to overcome stupid so do your homework and then invest in good tax counsel if needed.  

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 429 posts · 393 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Marx

    I'm not a CPA or an accountant, but I've own numerous LLCs. I'm not sure why your friend would say you have to pay yourself from the LLC. Is he simply saying not to commingle funds since the property is in the LLC? That would be correct. Or what he may be referring to is that any profits in the LLC will be passed through to your personal income, for which you'll be responsible for the taxes.

  • Murrieta, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you that is exacly what I got from the research I have done on the matter. 

  • Accountant · Frisco, TX · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I'm a CPA and I dont see any reason why you would have to pay yourself from the LLC, and its unlikely that you would owe much tax from that income either.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Josh Dixon:

    I'm a CPA and I dont see any reason why you would have to pay yourself from the LLC, and its unlikely that you would owe much tax from that income either.

    You might explain to him how that differs from co-mingling funds. I think that is what he is asking but doesn't know it.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Aaron Marx really a CPA said that "shaking my head"

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Giving the CPA the 'benefit of the doubt' maybe they're indirectly quoting the old adage..."pay yourself first".

    So before you do anything else, set aside & SAVE a portion of your now passive income, by simply putting it into a 401(k), Roth IRA, or just a savings account. The latter strategy also has tax deferral advantages for other earned income streams.

  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Aaron Marx

    The LLC has to pay(account for the income )you and your wife pro rata, based on the percentage of ownership in the LLC wether it is a partnership or "S" Corp. Pay could mean w2 Or 1099 or dividend depending on your strategy and objectives. You need to follow the rules as you mentioned to maintain the "veil of protection". As it is multi member LLC a tax return will most likely be required. Either way, as mentioned above little to NO tax will be required based on noted income and expected depreciation. Cpa probably meant properly bookkeep the income and expenses. If it was a single member LLC it could be considered a "disregarded" entity without a tax return being required.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    You get what you paid for...and "friendly" advice is often incomplete. There's a big difference between a LLC and MMLLC. This will provide you with more detailed information:

    https://gusto.com/blog/start-business/multi-member-llc

    It's hard to overcome stupid so do your homework and then invest in good tax counsel if needed.  

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Marx Find a CPA that specializes in real estate. Not all CPAs do.

    I can tell you from my own situation that no only do I not pay additional taxes ... but I quit paying federal tax in March because of my expected real estate losses this year.

    I’m not a CPA and not authorized to give tax advice. But a good CPA for real estate investors is essential. And there are a lot of really good ones out there.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Aaron Marx

    "He said he didnt know much about the llc setup"

    That seems to be the problem right there...

    Seek advice from individuals who know something about the subject matter.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Ned Carey

    There are a few different areas a CPA can specialize in.  Most CPAs don't practice tax, and out of those that do, most aren't in public accounting.

    I suspect his CPA friend works in audit or on the private side for a corporation.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    My thought here is if you elected to be taxed as an s-corp for some reason. 

    That would be as silly for a passive asset as asking a friend or your drunk brother-in-law for tax advice at Thanksgiving. 😎

  • Accountant · Frisco, TX · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Josh Dixon:

    I'm a CPA and I dont see any reason why you would have to pay yourself from the LLC, and its unlikely that you would owe much tax from that income either.

    You might explain to him how that differs from co-mingling funds. I think that is what he is asking but doesn't know it. 

    I would definitely recommend having a separate bank account and a separate set of accounting from his personal (if he doesnt already), in which case he would have to write a check to himself for any distributions, and maybe that was what his friend meant by he would have to pay himself. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.