I am looking into selling on of my rental properties, my renter has lived there for about 2 years. By selling I’m looking to profit around $140K before taxes and notary fees etc...
My question is tax related how can I avoid paying tax on the gain so I can invest that money elsewhere. I’d like to look into getting a couple condos with the gains but would like to keep some for other investments. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
@Robert Goldman Not at all.....refinancing does Not change your basis at all and does not affect your gain/taxes. You aren’t taxed on your “equity” but the difference between your cost to buy/improve and your selling price (less actual selling costs) regardless of financing, all cash, whatever.
I am looking into selling on of my rental properties, my renter has lived there for about 2 years. By selling I’m looking to profit around $140K before taxes and notary fees etc...
My question is tax related how can I avoid paying tax on the gain so I can invest that money elsewhere. I’d like to look into getting a couple condos with the gains but would like to keep some for other investments. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thank you lots.
If you dont want to do 1031, you can look into the opportunity zones. The Opportunity Zones will help you defer taxes and potentially avoid future appreciation.
Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 84 votes
7y
You can avoid tax gain by refinancing your property. This way, you can pull some of your capital out and not get taxed.
Opportunity zones are great, but most opportunity zone funds take only accredited investors. Also, you will be a passive investor in the fund, so your return might be less relatively.
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y
@Emmanuel Kizayilawoko, once you confirm your actual gain you could use the 1031 to accomplish what you want. You would be looking at a partial exchange. You sell one property and use the proceeds to buy a couple of replacement properties. As long the total of the two replacements equals or exceeds your sales price (minus the boot I'll address in a sec) you'll avoid all tax.
The "boot" is what makes this a partial exchange. in order to fully defer all tax you must purchase at least as much as you sell. If you want to take some cash for other things that is fine. You pay tax on the difference and shelter the rest in the 1031. So in your case you would take some boot and then purchase two properties that equal at least as much as your sale (minus the boot) and you've fully deferred the rest of the tax.
That's why @Natalie Kolodij is right on with wanting you to get an exact figure on your gain so you know how much you can take out and still have a benefit from the 1031.
You can avoid tax gain by refinancing your property. This way, you can pull some of your capital out and not get taxed.
Opportunity zones are great, but most opportunity zone funds take only accredited investors. Also, you will be a passive investor in the fund, so your return might be less relatively.
You can individually buy a property in a QOZ and utilize it that way as well. You do not need to be a passive investor in a QO fund.
@Jay Chang to refinance I would have to keep the property? And since the property is still be financed I would only be able to pull a portion of the equity...?
If you lived in it 2 of the last 5 years and lived in first, before it was EVER a rental for you, you only owe the depreciation recapture. (If it was rental, then primary then back to rental you owe the taxes.)
MAKE SURE it’s sold before you’ve been out of it 3 years or you’ll owe all the capital gains. Sell for less if you have to.
Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 26 votes
7y
You could just refinance it to raise your basis and then sell it after closing to prevent capital gains taxes or if you've lived in it for two years of the past five years, you should be exempt. Check the law though to be sure.
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
@Robert Goldman Not at all.....refinancing does Not change your basis at all and does not affect your gain/taxes. You aren’t taxed on your “equity” but the difference between your cost to buy/improve and your selling price (less actual selling costs) regardless of financing, all cash, whatever.
@Robert Goldman Not at all.....refinancing does Not change your basis at all and does not affect your gain/taxes. You aren’t taxed on your “equity” but the difference between your cost to buy/improve and your selling price (less actual selling costs) regardless of financing, all cash, whatever.
I'll look more into it but I have read multiple places that refinancing raises the basis because of the increase in debt.
@Robert Goldman Not at all.....refinancing does Not change your basis at all and does not affect your gain/taxes. You aren’t taxed on your “equity” but the difference between your cost to buy/improve and your selling price (less actual selling costs) regardless of financing, all cash, whatever.
I'll look more into it but I have read multiple places that refinancing raises the basis because of the increase in debt.
You can avoid tax gain by refinancing your property. This way, you can pull some of your capital out and not get taxed.
Opportunity zones are great, but most opportunity zone funds take only accredited investors. Also, you will be a passive investor in the fund, so your return might be less relatively.
You can individually buy a property in a QOZ and utilize it that way as well. You do not need to be a passive investor in a QO fund.
Do you have a link to this? From what I had read before, you need to do a fund or essentially set up a fund.
Also you can’t just simply buy cash flowing RE in an OZ. You need to redevelop and put a bunch of money into it.
@Jay Chang to refinance I would have to keep the property? And since the property is still be financed I would only be able to pull a portion of the equity...?
That's right, you will have to keep the property if it's refinanced. Depending on your LTV, you will most likely need to keep 25% of the value in equity.
Accountant · Englewood, OH · Member since 2019 · 87 posts · 43 votes
7y
@Robert Goldman If you refinance then you also have to trace the funds. So interest on the original balance of the loan will still be deductible, but the deductibility of the interest will for the cash taken out will depend on the used of the funds. As others have said refinancing does not effect basis at all