How to account for flip gross profit

How to account for flip gross profit

Developer · LA, Nashville TN · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 75 votes

Hi Folks, I have a master spreadsheet with all my costs for a flip. I'm confused though as to how to calculate my gross profit. 

I have considered any and every expense associated with the project, including credit card/paypal fee's, credit card interest payments, travel expenses. Also, my parents who partnered with me ended up living there for 8 months and paid me rent, so I have two values, one gross profit for the project including their payments as "investments" and another without their payments looking at the actual project costs. In addition I paid my parents a contractor management fee which I do include in the costs.

Now I know for tax purposes they will not include my personal travel (I already deducted that as on my sched C), I know none of the CC interest or fee's would be deductible anywhere, but regardless I plan to include them on the gross. 

In addition, how do you break down expenses categorically so that you can analyze best? I have a ton of Home Depot and Lowe's receipts that I have no idea if the materials are paint or cabinets etc. Is there any product out there that can ingest receipts and lookup item codes to itemize them? 

I also plan to categorize out the following as best I can: 

  • materials
  • contract labor
  • holding costs (mortgage, utilities, hoa, etc)
  • investor costs (travel)
  • money costs
  • closing costs (purchase)
  • closing costs (sale
0Reply
26 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Leland S.Everyone has their own way to track and analyze deals. 

    Credit card fee would be deductible if it was related to flip. Make sure you talk to your tax professional. 

    I use these criteria to analyze my deals. 

    d

    Hope that helps. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Developer · LA, Nashville TN · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Ashish Acharya - thanks for sharing, that's pretty useful format. What is the -85k for? Must be a particular deal you analyzed? Good reminder about the 20% pass through deduction, I'll have to remember that for my CPA.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Leland S. , the first tab asks for the lower selling price for the worst case. -85k is automatically calculated in the worse case scenario. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Developer · LA, Nashville TN · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Ashish Acharya - got it. I definitely need to create a spreadsheet that more formal looking as well. Will reference this one for pointers and format what I have as well. Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.