Primary to rental conversion - property tax snafu

Primary to rental conversion - property tax snafu

Lexington, SC · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 10 votes
Hey fam! So we are discussing converting our primary to a rental. I just found out in the state of SC if you rent your home for a period of longer than 72 days, you are subject to the higher property tax rate for the ENTIRE YEAR. The yearly tax difference on this property is $800 as primary and goes up to $3500 as a rental. (Confirmed with tax assessor) It will cash flow positive due to our situation (ran the numbers multiple times through calculators) and even with the increased tax liability we are good so I don’t need help on that front. However I just learned that if we convert our house to rental anytime this year we are subject to paying the FULL YEAR of property taxes at the higher rate. Has anyone else encountered this? Do they not prorate based on how many months it’s a primary vs rental? I just don’t want to be in trouble with the tax man by missing something and I also don’t want to pay thousands more than I have to... Any thoughts would be appreciated!
0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@David Waldy I own about ~50 units in Richland County and I am under the belief that they tax it based on what the property is as of January 1st. I own a few in Lexington but have never dealt with that.

On many occasions I have sold my investment properties to buyers that were going to use it as their primary residence. I'm almost certain that they were able to get the owner occupied rate (6% to 4%) for the entire year no matter when they bought it. 

Maybe it's different in Lexington County but I've never heard of that.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    I’m guessing the tax bill is determined by the status of the property on a Certain Day of the year, as it is here.
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @David Waldy I own about ~50 units in Richland County and I am under the belief that they tax it based on what the property is as of January 1st. I own a few in Lexington but have never dealt with that.

    On many occasions I have sold my investment properties to buyers that were going to use it as their primary residence. I'm almost certain that they were able to get the owner occupied rate (6% to 4%) for the entire year no matter when they bought it. 

    Maybe it's different in Lexington County but I've never heard of that.

  • Lexington, SC · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Thanks ya'll!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Are you planning on buying another residence in the state of SC this year?  Or will you rent/move?  There are certain things that trigger the assessment switch.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.