Can I write off real estate books as a business expense?

Can I write off real estate books as a business expense?

Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 9 votes

Hello Bigger pockets, 

I am a new long distance investor. I want to purchase David Greene's book "Long Distance Real Estate Investing". How would I write that off? Would I simply tell my accountant to expense it on one of my properties next year on the Schedule E when he does my 2018 taxes?

Thanks in advance

0Reply
5 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
8y
Yes. I can't recall the line number. but there is a line for misc business expenses.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y
    Yes. I can't recall the line number. but there is a line for misc business expenses.
  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    8y

    @Eddie Knoell It sounds like you are already in the business of renting real property, so I would say yes, this is a valid business expense, but please consult with your actual accountant about your particular situation.

    I assume you give him or her some record at the end of the year of your real estate income and expenses.  Just indicate that you purchased the book on what date at what price.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Ok thanks Logan and Bettina

  • Investor · Saskatchewan , Saskatchewan · Member since 2017 · 311 posts · 233 votes
    8y
    Not accounting advice,... I believe the standard is a “reasonable expectation” of earning income from it... so 37 books and no property may not be viewed the same as 37 books and actually buying.
  • Ventura County, CA · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Eddie Knoell

    I am not suggesting you forego previous advice in this thread but I will add my 2₵

    Presumably your book will pertain to all of your properties. You can allocate expenses to multiple properties by allocating a portion of the expense to each property. The IRS doesn't seem to care which method you choose but it must be reasonable and consistent. 

    For the book, it seems easy enough to split the cost evenly to each property. Others may advise to apportion it based on the income they provide. 

    In practice, I think a lot of people for an incidental expense just throw it all into one property. This is not what the IRS advises, as far as I know so I would not recommend this. 

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Yes, @Eddie Knoell, you can write it off.

    @Jim T. added some excellent practical pointers. Your accountant should allocate all your general business expenses, including the book, between all your properties and not attach it to just one.

  • Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Thanks Jim and Michael for the advice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.