Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Votes |
Sewer line fix capitalize or expense

Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Posted Mar 4 2018, 10:25

Hello, I have asked this question before, but after doing research I must disagree with the original poster. I spent almost $5K to have a plumbing company dig a hole in my yard and put a $6 boot on a cracked sewer line. I see this as an expense even though it was quite costly. According to my research a capital asset is:

The IRS indicates what constitutes a real property capital improvement as follows:

Fixing a defect or design flaw

Creating an addition, physical enlargement or expansion

Creating an increase in capacity, productivity or efficiency

Rebuilding property after the end of its economic useful life

Replacing a major component or structural part of the property

Adapting property to a new or different use

A repair is as follows:

Improvements that "keep" property in efficient operating condition

Restores the property to its previous condition

Protects the underlying property through routine maintenance

Incidental Repair to property

Reference is http://www.dbbllc.com/newsletters/focus/mar2012/irs-clarifies-capital-improvement-vs-repair-expense

Next time I will rent a small excavator, dig my own hole, and put on a Fernco. Done! Isn't this very expensive repair restoring the property to its previous condition?

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Mar 4 2018, 14:59

@Mark Forest

I know that depreciation is a very complex area of tax.  To make it very simple, if an expenditure produces both current and future year benefits, the determination as to whether the cost should be capitalized or expensed should be based on a careful examination of all the facts.

Taxpayers must capitalize amounts paid to restore a unit of property. The regulations provide a list of situations where the unit of property is restored, such as if the expenditure

(a) returns a unit of property that deteriorated to a state of disrepair (and can no longer be used for its intended purpose) to its ordinarily efficient operating condition or

(c) replaces a part or a combination of parts that comprise a major component or substantial structural part of a unit of property

If you had just patched the crack that would be repair. You replaced the whole thing. This is same as replacing Roof or repairing few shingles. 

The good news is you can do partial disposition of the old sewer line and take the loss. You have to make that election on your Tax Return. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 4 2018, 16:05
Originally posted by @Ashish Acharya:

@Mark Forest

If you had just patched the crack that would be repair. You replaced the whole thing. This is same as replacing Roof or repairing few shingles. 

From what I read, he did not replace the whole thing; the plumber just applied a $6 coupling to patch the cracked section.

So does that change how this should be approached tax-wise?

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Replied Mar 4 2018, 18:17

@Ashish Acharya  Yes Steve is right.  99.99% of cost is to dig a big hole.  Then a $6 boot was put in place.

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Mar 4 2018, 19:10
Originally posted by @Mark Forest:

@Ashish Acharya  Yes Steve is right.  99.99% of cost is to dig a big hole.  Then a $6 boot was put in place.

Oh, I mistakenly read $6k rather than $6.  You got it right. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Replied Mar 4 2018, 19:38

@Ashish Acharya  so are you saying it is or is not to be capitalized?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Toelkes
  • Investor
  • Pawleys Island, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pawleys Island, SC
Replied Mar 5 2018, 05:19

@Mark Forest

You paid for a repair.  If this was your primary residence or second home, repair costs are non-deductible.  If this was your rental property, you claim your repair expense on Schedule E.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Replied Mar 5 2018, 09:44

@Dave Toelkes  Its a rental property.  I like what you are saying, but according to the CPA in the thread above here this is a capitalized item I will have to depreciate.  I am not happy about it!

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 5 2018, 13:56

@Mark Forest

It sounds like the sewer line was not improved or the life of its use was not extended.

I would think it to be a repair and expensed in the current year.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Forest
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fenton, MI
Replied Mar 5 2018, 15:53

@Basit Siddiqi  I don't even have an asset when I am done.  I paid to have a hole dug.  I agree with your logic. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 5 2018, 17:11

@Mark Forest I think if you try to take it as a repair you will be arguing before an IRS auditor . 

Second , dont use that plumber again . 

To rent a mini ex for the day , delivered and picked up is about $700 . And a fernco is 6 bucks .  Quite a savings .  

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Mar 5 2018, 17:25

A grey area but my tax/CPA guy sent me this on the $9,000 sewer repairs we had in 2016 & so far no objections from the IRS.

Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers

Repairs can be deducted immediately if the total amount paid for repairs and maintenance on the property is less than or equal to $10,000 or 2 percent of the unadjusted basis of the property, whichever amount is lower. And the safe harbor is only available for businesses with revenues under $10 million and the property being repaired has an unadjusted basis under $1 million.

& from the IRS website ....

What is the de minimis safe harbor election?

Under the final tangibles regulations, you may elect to apply a de minimis safe harbor to amounts paid to acquire or produce tangible property to the extent such amounts are deducted by you for financial accounting purposes or in keeping your books and records. If you have an applicable financial statement (AFS), you may use this safe harbor to deduct amounts paid for tangible property up to $5,000 per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice). If you don't have an AFS, you may use the safe harbor to deduct amounts up to $2,500 ($500 prior to 1-1-2016) per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice).

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied Mar 5 2018, 19:18
Originally posted by @Pat L.:

A grey area but my tax/CPA guy sent me this on the $9,000 sewer repairs we had in 2016 & so far no objections from the IRS.

Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers

Repairs can be deducted immediately if the total amount paid for repairs and maintenance on the property is less than or equal to $10,000 or 2 percent of the unadjusted basis of the property, whichever amount is lower. And the safe harbor is only available for businesses with revenues under $10 million and the property being repaired has an unadjusted basis under $1 million.

& from the IRS website ....

What is the de minimis safe harbor election?

Under the final tangibles regulations, you may elect to apply a de minimis safe harbor to amounts paid to acquire or produce tangible property to the extent such amounts are deducted by you for financial accounting purposes or in keeping your books and records. If you have an applicable financial statement (AFS), you may use this safe harbor to deduct amounts paid for tangible property up to $5,000 per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice). If you don't have an AFS, you may use the safe harbor to deduct amounts up to $2,500 ($500 prior to 1-1-2016) per invoice or item (as substantiated by invoice).

Thanks for posting this.

I must be from a bygone era where I capitalized and depreciate everything. These days, when I install hot water tanks, room air conditioners, my CPA would expense them. So now large things that I don't expense, I list for him, and he decides whether to expense or not. He usually expenses.

I used to depreciate things like hot water tanks, installed for $800.00 depreciate over 10 years, they break in 5 to 8 years, and I put in a new ones, and have to remember to expense the remainder of the old one, else, I would have two hot water tanks booked whereas it's physically one tank in the property.

That's why I use a CPA to check on what I do as I couldn't keep up with the changes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes