De Minimis Safe Harbor or Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers

De Minimis Safe Harbor or Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers

Investor · Daly City, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I just replaced a refrigerator in my rental last year.  The cost of the fridge was more than the $2500 ( $2499 + tax + shipping).  Assuming that it is the only expense I have for my rental, can I expense the cost of the fridge for 2016 under Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers (my SHST is about $8000)?  Or I have to depreciate it over the next 5 years?  I know that  this purchase doesn't qualify under the De Minimis Safe Harbor rule since it is over the $2500 per item limit.

 Thanks,

John

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@John Hole - I can't comment on the tax situation, but I am curious why you'd spend $2500+ on a fridge for a rental property?

I have mostly higher-end units and typically put entry-level stainless steel appliances in.  I spend around $1800 for an entire kitchen (stove, micro, fridge, d/w).  I don't think I've even had a $2500+ fridge in any personal residence I've ever lived in.  Just trying to figure out what kind of rental would warrant a $2500+ replacement fridge.

I know this doesn't answer your question and may be too late to help with this purchase, but it might be worthwhile to try to manage costs more closely on something like this in the future!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John Hole - I can't comment on the tax situation, but I am curious why you'd spend $2500+ on a fridge for a rental property?

    I have mostly higher-end units and typically put entry-level stainless steel appliances in.  I spend around $1800 for an entire kitchen (stove, micro, fridge, d/w).  I don't think I've even had a $2500+ fridge in any personal residence I've ever lived in.  Just trying to figure out what kind of rental would warrant a $2500+ replacement fridge.

    I know this doesn't answer your question and may be too late to help with this purchase, but it might be worthwhile to try to manage costs more closely on something like this in the future!

  • Accountant · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    The Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers applies only to buildings and structural components, so appliances would not qualify under that exemption.

  • CPA · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 46 votes
    9y
    See below copied directly from the IRS website: Safe Harbor Election for Small Taxpayers- You are not required to capitalize as an improvement, and therefore may be permitted to deduct, the costs of work performed on owned or leased buildings, e.g., repairs, maintenance, improvements or similar costs, that fall into the safe harbor election for small taxpayers. The REQUIREMENTS of the safe harbor election for small taxpayers are: *Average annual gross receipts of $10 million or less; and *Owns or leases building property with an unadjusted basis of less than $1 million or less; and *The total amount paid during the taxable year for repairs, maintenance, improvements, or similar activities performed on such building property doesn't exceed the lesser of: -*Two percent of the unadjusted basis of the eligible building property; or -*$10,000 (for questions about how to calculate the unadjusted basis, refer to "Figuring the Unadjusted Basis of Your Property" in Publication 946 You make the election to use the safe harbor for each taxable year in which qualifying amounts are incurred.
  • CPA · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 46 votes
    9y
    Also, Scott Davidson is correct that appliances would not be applicable, but perhaps the above guidance will help you navigate future expense items.
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    High end is subjective.  In the Bay Area, entry level stainless is not high end.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.