Tax Strategies for Primary Residence (Not Duplex/Triplex)

Tax Strategies for Primary Residence (Not Duplex/Triplex)

Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Hello!

I've been lurking on BP for the past several...years #2015 and have been encouraged by recent podcasts to jump on and ask a few questions.

A little background, I purchased my first single family (4 bedroom, 4 bath) townhouse in early 2016 in Virginia as my primary residence with the intent to have roommates. I am in my mid-twenties and single. I put 20% down so a good bit of cash is tied up. I currently rent out 3 of the 4 rooms in my house, (it is not a duplex or triplex, so all under one roof) to 3 ladies to help cover mortgage, tax, insurance, etc.

I am trying to figure out what is the best tax strategy for 2016/2017 for investors who have tenants living within their house. So not separate living spaces (like a duplex or triplex).

My goal is to probably liquidate the asset at the 2 year mark and invest the no taxed capital gains + downpayment + mortgage principal towards real estate outside of my primary residence so I would ideally like to keep it (from a tax standpoint) as my primary resident vs. doing a 75% rental & 25% primary etc. as the numbers don't work out to keep it long term as a rental. The asset has appreciated 20k since purchase and think it will appreciate an additional 15 - 20k by early 2018 with current neighbors who have sold.

I have kept track of all expenses with printed receipts for power, internet, gas, etc. I don't have a ton of repairs to potentially write off (about $150 for 2016 as it is a fairly new construction) so I don't think that would be a huge tax break.

Any ideas on potential tax approaches on ways to handle the rental income and still get the tax benefit of no tax on the capital gains? Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

P.S. Any recommendations on CPA and advisor/strategist with a strong real estate background? I am looking to do some research and interview a few potentials to see who would be the best fit for me long term. Thanks! :)

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 132 votes
9y
Lindsey Leemis you wouldn't be subject to capital gains in this situation (see IRC section 121 exclusion). You can allocate a percentage of your home to be treated as a rental and split the common expenses based on that allocation-except for when you make repairs directly to those rented rooms (paint, etc) as those can be 100% expensed. Depreciation would be allocated also. Hope this helps
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Lindsey, its a fun topic you will want to prorate everything based upon the percentage of occupation by tenants. At sale you would only have to deal with recapture but no capital gain on the property.

    You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.

    Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/7044...

    Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

    If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

    For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

    So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

    Feel free to ask here if you have questions

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @Steven Hamilton II, You're the man who would know. Could @Lindsey Leemis arrange for her friends to "gift" her money under the annual limits and forego any treatment of the property as investment?  Seems to me she would give up expense deductions but also taxability of the money while preserving her full 121 exclusion.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    The problem is they are receiving something in exchange for the gifts. I will say the rental portions are only subject to recapture and not to capital gains as it is within that same building. If it was a separate structure it would not be. 

    So it all should qualify for the 121 exclusion.

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Steven Hamilton II & @Dave Foster! Thanks so much for your response!

    So, since I lived within the property (owner occupied) for at least 2 years (by early 2018) that would exclude me from any capital gains tax and I can write off depreciation and expenses since I am also using it as a rental but those would be at a percentage? Say, 75 - 80% of the full value of expenses and take full depreciation or a percentage also?

    Thanks again for all the advice & help!

  • CPA · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 132 votes
    9y
    Lindsey Leemis you wouldn't be subject to capital gains in this situation (see IRC section 121 exclusion). You can allocate a percentage of your home to be treated as a rental and split the common expenses based on that allocation-except for when you make repairs directly to those rented rooms (paint, etc) as those can be 100% expensed. Depreciation would be allocated also. Hope this helps
  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Taylor Brugna - very helpful :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.