Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Parrish
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Votes |
I found an un-cashed money order at a property I just purchased..

Joshua Parrish
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Posted

I recently bought a Tri-plex. It's got a supply room that's separate from the living units. The previous owner cut a hole in the door and made a drop box for the tenants to leave their rent in so they didn't have to mail it. I was there today doing some work and I found an envelope with an $800 money order made out to the previous owner. It had fallen out of the box and was stuck behind some other things where it was out of sight. My instincts tell me that when I purchased the property this became mine, similar to if I had found a safe or cash hidden the walls, etc., since a money order is essentially as good as cash. Am I right to assume this? And if so, how do I get the money into my account with another person's name on the payee line? Can I just go into the bank and deposit it? Can I cross the name out and put my name there. I want to stay on the right side of the law here so any advice would be appreciated. The property is in California.

Loading replies...