S-Corp purchasing rental property - needing cash out line credit

S-Corp purchasing rental property - needing cash out line credit

Hallandale, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi all - here is my situation.   I am a 100% owner of an S-Corp for the last 2 years. I made some money in advertising. Now that is winding down, I am looking to get into real estate.

The funds are currently under the S-Corp bank account, as I haven't withdrawn much.  So what I would like to do is to purchase a rental property all cash under the S-corp,  then turn around and pull out cash through a line of credit of sorts. (and hopefully do it all over again). So my questions begin:

  • Would the lenders give a line of credit loan on a property owned by a S-Corp if I would personally guarantee it?
  • What are some other options - such as if I create an LLC as a partnership between myself and the S-Corp (i read this somewhere, but not sure of the logistics).

Thanks! any advice is appreciated.

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

A corporation - either S or C - is not a recommended entity to hold real estate in.  Unless you structure things VERY carefully, the passive nature of the income is lost in a corporate structure, including favorable Capital Gains income.  

Take a shareholder distribution from your S-Corp and move forward.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Gallatin, TN · Member since 2009 · 292 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    Disclaimer:  Not a tax accountant, nor do I play one on TV ... 

    Depending on when that income was accounted for, its probably already been taxed.  Seeing as an S-Corp is a passthrough entity (via your Social), and assuming that income has already been taxed, I'd shut the S-Corp down, dissolve the corp,  and transfer funds in to your personal account.

    At that point ~ you have a much better shot of getting a loan/funding via going the personal route, over a failed (or no longer bringing income in) ~ advertising S-Corp.

    I'd find a Local RE Accountant or CPA ~ Go over everything with them, and see what they may suggest :)

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    A corporation - either S or C - is not a recommended entity to hold real estate in.  Unless you structure things VERY carefully, the passive nature of the income is lost in a corporate structure, including favorable Capital Gains income.  

    Take a shareholder distribution from your S-Corp and move forward.

  • Hallandale, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    thank you for the feedback!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Agree.  You've already paid the taxes on the money, or should have, so taking it out triggers nothing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.