Would you liquidate the RRSP for an investment property?

Would you liquidate the RRSP for an investment property?

Investor · Aurora, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

The idea behind an RRSP (registered retirement savings plan) is to shelter the taxes you will pay on your income until you eventually find yourself in a lower tax-bracket.  Well, I'm asking all of you, if you had previously invested some $$$ in such a tax shelter and THEN found the miracle of REAL ESTATE, would you withdraw those registered dollars knowing the government will withhold a good portion of that amount as withholding taxes?

We're talking abotu 10k... so let's say the taxes held would be 40% of that, then I end up with only 6k of my own money because yes I found a RE deal that to me would be earning a ROI of approx. 15-20%.

Let's hear it.

J

0Reply
3 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · North Wiltshire, Prince Edward Island · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    I've also been wondering if this would be a wise thing to do.  I can't seem to get many answers.  

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    HMM; IMO, that's a fundamental mistake, just as premature withdrawal from an IRA.

    You started on a good path with either of these, now let then sit and create another path using REI.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.