I converted a planned flip to a rental late 2014, tax consequenses?

I converted a planned flip to a rental late 2014, tax consequenses?

Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 3 votes

Hi All,

First off, I will consult my tax professional before doing anything.  I am looking for the 10,000 foot summary to get my mind around what I will be looking at when its time to tackle this.

I bought a fix and flip home in 2013.  Renovated, tried to sell, then decided to rent it late 2014.  It officially went on the rental market December 1, and was rented immediately with the tenant paying partial month for december.

I believe from the rental income/depreciation/expenses standpoint that starts as of December 1?

What is done from a tax perspective from Jan 1 - Nov 31, 2014, if anything?

- I incurred significant renovation and holding costs through that period.

Is this considered "converting" a home to rental (as of 12/1/14)?

Thanks for any input!

0Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Owasso, OK · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    Since it was put into service (available for rent) as evidenced by proof of advertising etc....or in your case, a signed lease, your depreciation timeline starts when it was put into service (available for rent, not when occupied).  Other expenses that are not wrapped into your depreciable base are fully deductible....interest expense, utilities, certain supplies, taxes, potentially some closing costs etc.  As you said, get the particulars from your tax guy, but since the property was available for rent before they end of the year, you get some deductions from this.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    What type of entity is it held by?  Were you flipping in your personal name? If so, you are looking at inventory and then removing that property from inventory to continually rent the property as a rental. It would be treated as placed in service of the date it was listed for rent.

    If it was held by a corp that is a WHOLE other story. 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Chris Simmons:

    Since it was put into service (available for rent) as evidenced by proof of advertising etc....or in your case, a signed lease, your depreciation timeline starts when it was put into service (available for rent, not when occupied).  Other expenses that are not wrapped into your depreciable base are fully deductible....interest expense, utilities, certain supplies, taxes, potentially some closing costs etc.  As you said, get the particulars from your tax guy, but since the property was available for rent before they end of the year, you get some deductions from this.

    Yes, I signed a rental agreement adn advertising began December 1.  Im not so much concerned about that time frame as I am curious about January 1 - November 30.  During that period, I owned the home and incurred a variety of expenses improvements and holding, etc.  That is what I am trying to get my head around prior to tax season if not for curiosity above all...

    Steve - yes in my name and I have a full time non-real estate job. Starting the transfer to an LLC discussions now with bank (have had the LLC for some time but no activity).

  • Real Estate Agent · Owasso, OK · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    That is where your tax guy will tell you which items get rolled into your depreciable base....(purchase price + rehab costs etc) and what you can deduct as operating expense for the year...utilities, holding cost, taxes etc.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Chris Simmons:

    That is where your tax guy will tell you which items get rolled into your depreciable base....(purchase price + rehab costs etc) and what you can deduct as operating expense for the year...utilities, holding cost, taxes etc.

    Thanks Chris I am familiar with the creation of the depreciation base so thinking of it that way, I guess that is how the Jan-Nov timeframe activity is 'accounted for' froma  2014 tax perspective.

    Thanks all.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.