Investor · Woodland Hills · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 33 votes
Hi Experts,
Can I buy a distressed property and rehab the property using Self directed IRA funds? I plan to rent it for a few years and sell it depending on the market conditions in the future. Is this below scenario possible?
Can I buy a distressed property and rehab the property using Self directed IRA funds? I plan to rent it for a few years and sell it depending on the market conditions in the future. Is this below scenario possible?
Example -
Funds in SDIRA - 500K
Distressed property - 300K
Rehab Costs - 150K
Funds left in SDIRA - 50K
Hey Sri, while the deal sounds promising I would not recommend going "all in" on on deal from your self directed IRA
Accountant · Austin, TX · Member since 2024 · 53 posts · 35 votes
2y
Yes, you can do SDIRA buy a distressed property and rehab the property. BUT be aware of "Prohibited transactions" and "disqualified person". Where did you set up your SDIRA ? Do they give you documents what you can DO and DON'T .
Yes, you can do SDIRA buy a distressed property and rehab the property. BUT be aware of "Prohibited transactions" and "disqualified person". Where did you set up your SDIRA ? Do they give you documents what you can DO and DON'T .
Diyan,
I haven't even set up SDIRA yet. I was contemplating if such a scenario is allowed or not. I was aware that you can buy a property but wasn't sure if SDIRA allowed rehabbing. Thanks for replying.
Lender · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 90 votes
2y
It's not a big issue but just be aware that it can take a few days to get your contractor paid. For example, if your contractor is ready for payment/draw, you schedule an inspection 2 days out, then your request payment from the IRA which can take 2-3 days to receive. Maybe a week has passed which may slow down the process. Just make sure you manage expectations and it can work out just fine.
Yes, you can do SDIRA buy a distressed property and rehab the property. BUT be aware of "Prohibited transactions" and "disqualified person". Where did you set up your SDIRA ? Do they give you documents what you can DO and DON'T .
Diyan,
I haven't even set up SDIRA yet. I was contemplating if such a scenario is allowed or not. I was aware that you can buy a property but wasn't sure if SDIRA allowed rehabbing. Thanks for replying.
Thanks,
Voodi
You’ll want to take a look at setting up a Checkbook IRA. The custodian is bypassed and you can make payments and deposits into a checking account owned by the retirement account. No delays, no red tape, no custodian transaction fees each time you perform a transaction. Plus you can sign on behalf of the retirement account instead of the custodian. It’s by far the best way to set up an SDIRA, especially when it’s investing in real estate on account of the amount of transactions done regularly.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
Yes, you can use your Self-Directed IRA (SDIRA) funds to buy and rehab a distressed property, but strict rules exist. You can purchase the property for $300K and cover the $150K rehab costs with your SDIRA, leaving $50K in the account. However, all expenses and income must flow through the SDIRA, and you can't personally benefit from the property—meaning you can't live in it, use it, or even do the rehab work yourself. Third parties must handle everything, and any profits from renting or selling the property must go back into the SDIRA. It's a great strategy, but make sure to follow the rules closely to avoid any penalties.