Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Zac Kucharek
  • New to Real Estate
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Starting LLC questions - 1 or 2 member LLC

Zac Kucharek
  • New to Real Estate
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted

1 or 2 members for LLC for spouses when loan/title are under both spouse names:

—————————————————————- 
Hello,

I am starting an LLC and have some general questions. I am using the LLC mainly to shield liability from the rental property from personal assets.

-The property: Duplex that we are house hacking and living in one unit while renting other side out on long term leases.

- mortgage: loan and title under my wife and I’s name 

First question:

I am unsure as to start the LLC with 1 or 2 members. My wife and I both as members of the LLC solely for the purpose that the loan and title are under both of our names so when transferring this property over from personal to the LLC I am trying mainly to prevent the property from technically changing ownership and "uncapping" its value for property tax purposes.
I have been told LLC under 1 name as a single member LLC is less complex and less expensive etc preparation wise. But I would like to avoid uncapping the property value. So if there is a way I can structure the LLC under single never but also avoid a technical “change of ownership” that is my main question!

My LLC is already created and I am filing for the EIN and was held up on this 1 or 2 member step for these reasoning. I know I should consult a CPA or attorney but wanted to get input as some may have been through this. Thank you In advance!

Loading replies...