Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Bradley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Votes |
Selling my first home, post-divorce

James Bradley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Posted Aug 4 2024, 10:41

Hi all!

I am under contract on the sale of my first home, I have owned the house for 10 years in Oakland County, MI. 

I HAVE lived in the home for 2 of the last 5 years and the reason for sale is my recent divorce. Here are some details;

Purchased: 131k in 2014 

Occupied the home until a little over 1 year ago, my ex currently lives there. Refinanced in 2017 roughly to drop PMI, lower interest rate and add my then wife to the mortgage.

Selling for 287k in August of 2024

I know that I won't have to pay capital gains tax on the profits- my question is the profit from the sale still treated like income and taxed accordingly? Or do I have literally NO tax obligation from the sale?

Thank you in advance!

James

User Stats

Votes
Ben Trageser
  • Accountant
  • Northern NJ
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Northern NJ
Replied Aug 4 2024, 13:45

Was this property ever rented or just always used for personal use? Based on only the facts and circumstances listed above and if it meets the 2 out of 5 year test, it will be considered under the $250,000 income threshold and non-taxable. The rest of the funds received will be considered a return on your cost basis and non-taxable as well.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 5 2024, 01:46
Quote from @James Bradley:

Hi all!

I am under contract on the sale of my first home, I have owned the house for 10 years in Oakland County, MI. 

I HAVE lived in the home for 2 of the last 5 years and the reason for sale is my recent divorce. Here are some details;

Occupied the home until a little over 1 year ago, my ex currently lives there. Refinanced in 2017 roughly to drop PMI, lower interest rate and add my then wife to the mortgage.

I know that I won't have to pay capital gains tax on the profits- my question is the profit from the sale still treated like income and taxed accordingly? Or do I have literally NO tax obligation from the sale?

Thank you in advance!

James

Hey James, 

Does your ex pass the ownership and use test(2 of the last 5 years owned and lived in the property)? She might also qualify for the 121 exclusion 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Thompson
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Replied Aug 5 2024, 07:19

You most likely will not have a tax obligation but without knowing your full tax situation we won't be able to say that with 100% certainty. In an ideal world, you'll report the sale of the home on your personal tax return and qualify for the exclusion. At the end of the day, if it all works out, there will be no additional income shown on your tax return, you'll only be reporting the transaction for informational purposes and to prevent a notice.

User Stats

Votes
James Bradley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Replied Aug 5 2024, 14:05
Quote from @Ben Trageser:

Was this property ever rented or just always used for personal use? Based on only the facts and circumstances listed above and if it meets the 2 out of 5 year test, it will be considered under the $250,000 income threshold and non-taxable. The rest of the funds received will be considered a return on your cost basis and non-taxable as well.

Thanks for the response Ben 

The house was never used as a rental, it was owner occupied by myself for the duration of the mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
James Bradley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Replied Aug 5 2024, 14:07
Quote from @Zachary Jensen:

Hi all!

Thank you in advance!

James

Hey James, 

Does your ex pass the ownership and use test(2 of the last 5 years owned and lived in the property)? She might also qualify for the 121 exclusion 

Thanks for the reply Zachary 

Both my ex and myself have occupied the home for 2 of the last 5 years. She was added onto the mortgage 6-7 years ago when we refinanced.

User Stats

Votes
James Bradley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Flint Michigan
Replied Aug 5 2024, 14:10
Quote from @Joshua Thompson:

You most likely will not have a tax obligation but without knowing your full tax situation we won't be able to say that with 100% certainty. In an ideal world, you'll report the sale of the home on your personal tax return and qualify for the exclusion. At the end of the day, if it all works out, there will be no additional income shown on your tax return, you'll only be reporting the transaction for informational purposes and to prevent a notice.

Hey Joshua

Thanks for the reply! I have a single, average income if that matters at all. 

Would the best bet be for me to just park a chunk of that money in a high yield savings account until tax time? I am planning on purchasing my next home this fall. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Thompson
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Replied Aug 5 2024, 14:39
Quote from @Joshua Thompson:

Hey Joshua

Thanks for the reply! I have a single, average income if that matters at all. 

Would the best bet be for me to just park a chunk of that money in a high yield savings account until tax time? I am planning on purchasing my next home this fall. 

Hey James, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a guaranteed 100% answer to someone on the forums without doing my due diligence on their situation. I would recommend jumping a 30 minutes call with an accountant and invite your financial advisor to discuss this transaction as well as your personal goals and plans for the funds.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 00:50
Quote from @Zachary Jensen:

Hi all!

Thank you in advance!

James

Hey James, 

Thanks for the reply Zachary 

Both my ex and myself have occupied the home for 2 of the last 5 years. She was added onto the mortgage 6-7 years ago when we refinanced.

Happy to help !

User Stats

Votes
Ben Trageser
  • Accountant
  • Northern NJ
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Northern NJ
Replied Aug 6 2024, 13:21
Quote from @Ben Trageser:

Thanks for the response Ben 

The house was never used as a rental, it was owner occupied by myself for the duration of the mortgage.

Happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Bellamy
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Replied Aug 7 2024, 07:13

Hi all!

Thank you in advance!

James

Sorry about the divorce. Based off your brief story, it seems that you will be off the hook in regards to paying tax on the sale although I don't feel comfortable guaranteeing that without knowing all of your facts and circumstances. 

You may be confusing 'profit' with 'cash from the sale'. If there is a net profit AFTER the Section 120 exclusion then you will pay tax. You should be receiving cash whether you show a profit or not but receiving cash doesn't mean you have a profit.