Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robby Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
bonus depreciation questions

Robby Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jul 19 2024, 04:09

Hey everyone, i had a question about depreciation, i will give you my situation as an example. i currently own 1 single family that i have been renting out since 2021 and i just bought a duplex in march of 2024 in which one side is my primary residence and i am renting out the other side. I plan to sell quite a bit of stock this year (2024) in order to fund some renovations and want to use the depreciation of these properties (if possible) to offset my capital gains when i sell the stock. Am i thinking about this correctly? I have googled alot of information but it is hard to wrap my head around this specific subject. 

- how can i get a rough estimate on how much the properties will offset? does BP offer a calculator like this?

-if i used bonus depreciation on my single family when i did my taxes this year for 2023 what does that mean for future years moving forward regarding the depreciation for the single family??

- should i use bonus depreciation every year?

-does depreciation work the same in the duplex since i am living in one side and renting the other? do i only depreciate the side that i am renting out? 

-what is the most often used depreciation strategy or what kind of strategies do you use?

thank you !

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Thompson
Tax & Financial Services
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Princeton, TX
Replied Jul 19 2024, 06:04

Hey Robby, how have things been!? I can't say for sure if the BP calculator offers such a calculation as your tax situation impacts how the depreciation will effect your return.

By bonus depreciation I'm assuming you're referring to doing a cost segregation, if this is the case you'll definitely want to review your tax return to determine if you can even take advantage of a cost segregation. If your income isn't in a certain range or if you're not a real estate professional (amongst other items) the cost segregation might not be beneficial. This is assuming the value of the property makes sense to do cost segregation. 

If you use bonus depreciation (cost segregation) this year that will mean in future years you'll most likely have less depreciation for that property.

When to use bonus depreciation, section 179 depreciation, cost segregation etc. should be a conversation/analysis you have with your accountant either mid-year doing a tax projection or prior to your tax return being filed.

Good question!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Watson
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jul 19 2024, 06:22
Totally agree. We do this analysis all the time... we find a nice "Estimator" for the costseg, and whack it against your 2024 tax plan to see how it all shakes out. But certainly a question for your tax pro.
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 19 2024, 19:21

No, @Robby Sanchez, you are not thinking about it correctly, and my overly enthusiastic colleagues are fueling you with false hopes.

1. It is possible that you may not benefit from additional depreciation at all. Read this: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1121063-expla...

2. Selling stocks cripples your ability to benefit from depreciation even further.

3. If you can benefit, then regular depreciation is a very small deduction, except for...

4. Sometimes you can have a ONE-YEAR boost of bonus depreciation resulting from cost segregation.  Read this:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1075919-five-...

5. Once you did it once, the game is over for this property. You ate the cake. 

6. Yes, you only depreciate the rental side.

7. The most efficient strategy ALWAYS depends on your specific situation. No universal advice.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Watson
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jul 20 2024, 06:17
Yup. Tax planning is a must... situational based tax planning. I am always surprised at how many taxpayers don't want to pay for tax planning so they can make informed decisions. Rather, and as Michael alluded to, they take a one-size fits all approach to these things. Reminds me of Dave Ramsey or that Profit First nonsense.

Also... Michael's #4 above is something so many people overlook. Costseg + bonus is a one-time shot from the tax gun. Having said that, we try to time it with unusually high income (like selling stock or getting big bonus or a big spike in biz income).

User Stats

Votes
Markus Shobe
  • Accountant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 20 2024, 06:22

Get a real estate tax pro. They will be well worth the money spent. They can answer all these questions and more. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2024, 14:27

@Robby Sanchez

I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation and tax planning. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 21 2024, 07:19
Quote from @Robby Sanchez:

Hey everyone, i had a question about depreciation, i will give you my situation as an example. i currently own 1 single family that i have been renting out since 2021 and i just bought a duplex in march of 2024 in which one side is my primary residence and i am renting out the other side. I plan to sell quite a bit of stock this year (2024) in order to fund some renovations and want to use the depreciation of these properties (if possible) to offset my capital gains when i sell the stock. Am i thinking about this correctly? I have googled alot of information but it is hard to wrap my head around this specific subject. 

- how can i get a rough estimate on how much the properties will offset? does BP offer a calculator like this?

-if i used bonus depreciation on my single family when i did my taxes this year for 2023 what does that mean for future years moving forward regarding the depreciation for the single family??

- should i use bonus depreciation every year?

-does depreciation work the same in the duplex since i am living in one side and renting the other? do i only depreciate the side that i am renting out? 

-what is the most often used depreciation strategy or what kind of strategies do you use?

thank you !

Hey Robby, 

If you used accelerated depreciation that will shorten the life of the deprecation so you can write off more sooner. 

Please keep in mind under section 469 you have "active income" and "passive income". The reason this matters is that your "active losses" can only offset active income. Same thing with passive losses.  

The decision to use or create deprecation depends on the income needed to offset. For you since your selling stocks, passive losses would be the one you would want to create (which are easier, also I'm assuming you have held your stock longer then 12 months). You should create losses via bonus deprecation if you actually plan to offset gains with it 

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 22 2024, 04:16

The income from the sale of securities is considered 'portfolio income' and is considered non-passive.

Rental activity in general is considered passive unless you are able to treat it as active or if your income is below $150,000(Then you can use some losses).

By default, the answer will be you can't unless your real estate is considered active or if your income is below the exception.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 22 2024, 04:46

Some good advice above. 

Depreciation is finite- with each component you accellerate, you will empty the bucket for future depreciation of that component. 

Once you choose your depreciation schedule, you cannot modify it mid stream, you are on that path until you either sell the property or deplete the depreciation life of that component. 

You need to talk to a tax pro, which I am not. There is so much incorrect and terrible advice on these forums, especially related to tax strategy. 

I'd check out Natalie Kolodij's podcast- she knows her stuff and she makes the concepts simple and interesting. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Robby Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 05:02
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

The income from the sale of securities is considered 'portfolio income' and is considered non-passive.

Rental activity in general is considered passive unless you are able to treat it as active or if your income is below $150,000(Then you can use some losses).

By default, the answer will be you can't unless your real estate is considered active or if your income is below the exception.

My income is below 150k

User Stats

Votes
Robby Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 07:29
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

I also manage my real estate which would make it active right?