Realtor · National City, CA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 13 votes
3y
@Jon Ful I used diycostseg.com last year for two of my cost seg studies. They were reasonably priced and quick. I'm sure they aren't advisable on larger projects but depending on the project size and complexity, they worked great for me. ~$650 for the study. I did a SFH & duplex
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
@Jon Ful I'm happy to recommend some contacts if you are interested...I've tried and reached out to several cost seg companies for properties here in San Diego. There are lots of things to consider before choosing one. I've found that cost segregation companies don't always do a great job and will miss things even though it is something they specialize in.
You have to ask lots of questions and make sure you have some level of understanding about cost segregation and not relying 100% on someone else, even though that is what you are paying them for.
For instance, I've reached out to cost segregation companies in San Diego that will base land vs building value on whatever split the tax assessors report shows which many times can be around a 50/50 split.
Based on the value of a property you can likely get away with a inexpensive desk top study such as condos and you will require a more comprehensive engineering study for larger properties like a 4plex.
@Jon Ful I'm happy to recommend some contacts if you are interested...I've tried and reached out to several cost seg companies for properties here in San Diego. There are lots of things to consider before choosing one. I've found that cost segregation companies don't always do a great job and will miss things even though it is something they specialize in.
You have to ask lots of questions and make sure you have some level of understanding about cost segregation and not relying 100% on someone else, even though that is what you are paying them for.
For instance, I've reached out to cost segregation companies in San Diego that will base land vs building value on whatever split the tax assessors report shows which many times can be around a 50/50 split.
Based on the value of a property you can likely get away with a inexpensive desk top study such as condos and you will require a more comprehensive engineering study for larger properties like a 4plex.
@Twana Rasoul - that advice makes me a bit nervous. The IRS has said, since 2017, that the improvement ratio or $ value is what your taxes are assessed as, unless you have a really compelling reason to use a different value. I think using a value outside of that is going to be tough to defend if you are doing a cost seg, which already attracts quite a few audits. That's my 2 cents!
Foothill Ranch, CA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 3 votes
1y
Is there a maximum amount of W2 income that will not benefit having a cost Seg completed? Im hearing two different things from some individuals and want to make sure I ask questions.
Specialist · Los Angeles California · Member since 2024 · 90 posts · 38 votes
1y
Cost Segregation is a great tax planning tool. I definitely recommend that you seek out a Certified Cost Segregation Professional so that you are confident in the quality of the work performed and the deliverables produced. Here are some key criteria for evaluating a Cost Segregation provider:
- Seek out a Certified Cost Segregation Professional
- Consider their experience with tangible property regulations. Will they be prepared to address retirements and disposition? Repairs vs. capital expenditures.
- Find out how long the provider has been doing cost segregation studies and how many they have performed
- Consider the resources available to the provider. Are they a nationwide firm? Do they have the necessary resources to stay on top of all the tax issues such as 1031 exchanges, 754 Step-Ups, etc.
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions here.
A couple articles you can read that will be helpful:
@Jon Ful I'm happy to recommend some contacts if you are interested...I've tried and reached out to several cost seg companies for properties here in San Diego. There are lots of things to consider before choosing one. I've found that cost segregation companies don't always do a great job and will miss things even though it is something they specialize in.
You have to ask lots of questions and make sure you have some level of understanding about cost segregation and not relying 100% on someone else, even though that is what you are paying them for.
For instance, I've reached out to cost segregation companies in San Diego that will base land vs building value on whatever split the tax assessors report shows which many times can be around a 50/50 split.
Based on the value of a property you can likely get away with a inexpensive desk top study such as condos and you will require a more comprehensive engineering study for larger properties like a 4plex.
Desktop / modeling options are sometimes good for smaller residential like you mention.
Land value can also be based on recent comps or appraisal value as well.