Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Investor
Votes |
Middletown CT, fight a 40 percent tax increase 2023

Account Closed
  • Investor
Posted

Hi all,

I have a single family home I purchased in June 2021 for 200k.

Aside from cleaning up the yard, painting, and new water heater there have been no improvements.

I recently got a letter that my taxes are going up as they believe the property to be worth 225k as of June 2022. 

For Middletown Ct that is quite a market value increase year over year. I checked the town card (it’s right) and the mill rate is unchanged. It’s just the valuation.

If I don’t fight this valuation, I am paying taxes on a higher assessed value than what I bought it for a year ago (they do 5 year assessments) and it’s effectively a 40 percent increase in taxes vs 2017. I feel they should use the transaction value still.

I plan to fight with the fact that the market value was set a year ago and I have similar transactions that are lower from Refin this year and some had more bedrooms!

Anyone in the Middletown ct area ever successfully repeal this stuff?

If not no worries, I will appeal and write back here to tell you all about the experience for the next Middletown ct person! This way I can contribute to this knowledge center.

Loading replies...