Is K-1 income from sale on line 11i passive?

Is K-1 income from sale on line 11i passive?

Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes

Let's say I'm an LP on an real estate syndication LLC that sold its sole property last year, although the LLC itself has not yet dissolved (e.g., this does not warrant a "Final K-1"). I am not a Real Estate Professional and my involvement in this is entirely passive.

The K-1 in this example shows an "Unrecaptured section 1250 gain" on line 9c of $5,000 and subsequently the same for line 10 "Net section 1231 gain". By all accounts, this is passive income according to bothTurboTax and my CPA.

Next up is the "Other income" in line 11i (roughly the proceeds from the sale) of $35,000. There is a note stressing that this is "fully attributable to the sale of business assets" and as a result "is non-portfolio long-term capital gain". In this specific case, is the 11i income of $35,000 passive or not?

This is an example, but it's based on a real K-1. If I enter all this info into TurboTax, then it insists that the 11i income is passive. My CPA disagrees.

The classification of this matters quite a bit since if it's passive, then I can apply my extensive passive losses from other investments to defray it. If it is not, then I pay an addition $12k in taxes.

Let me know if this is not knowable with the info I provided.

0Reply
66 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Based on limited info, all of your K1 should be passive. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Accountant · Edina, MN · Member since 2020 · 172 posts · 97 votes
    3y

    Capital gains, as well as K-1 income, are passive

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    3y

    Okay, excellent.  Given that, I can say that my passive income in the example is $40,000 ($5,000 from 9c and $35,000 from 11i).

    Say I also have passive losses from other investments that are a mix of carryover and current. Can I use the entire $40,000 in Form 8582 Part V (a) when calculating the overall passive gain or loss or is there a difference in the type of passive income in this case that means that only one of the sources can have passive losses apply? Put another way, is there a reason why only  the 9c $5,000 may be used in calculating the allowed passive gains/losses on Form 8582?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.