Next door neighbor caused flood in rental

Next door neighbor caused flood in rental

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a somewhat complicated issue. I rented a condo for 13 years in CA. This past summer the next-door neighbor had a plumbing repair (that was not HOA approved) and his "workers" did not turn off the water main. It flooded my unit, a few days later all the walls and floors came back positive for asbestos. None of my personal property was damaged (renters insurance would only cover that), but I was forced to move, lost my job due to all of it. Sent a letter to my landlords via an attorney with no results. I'm up to my eyeballs with the amount of money that I've had to shell out due to this massive oversight/negligence.

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Also forgot to add, found out that my landlords had the incorrect insurance, only homeowners not landlord insurance. 

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    4y

    what exactly was your loss if your property was ok?  what did you spend money on, did you get sick from asbestos/mold?

    sounds like you need an attorney to deal with the landlord and condominium association.  

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
    4y

    @Wal Creek I think your attorney would provide you advice you are looking for. Other than repairing the unit I am not sure what the landlord would due. If you have specific negligence claims or damages you need to go back to your attorney.

    On a condo typically the hoa is going to cover structural insurance claims, and the owner would only have a HO-6 walls in policy. I believe it would be same coverage type for land lord or occupant although different price points etc. Maybe some rent loss coverage options if for a rental, but that would not typically be relevant to the tenant as that is coverage for the owner.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.