Rehab loan for prop I bought with cash

Rehab loan for prop I bought with cash

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 3 votes

I want to preface this that I am not using this post to shop for loans. Any commercial services will be ignored. I am simply looking for information regarding the feasibility of my plans.

I've been looking to buy a rental prop that I can rehab with a fha 203k loan and pay off with the cash flow. Recently however, I found a property that fits the bill but its so cheap I could buy it for cash and on top of that the buyer wont even entertain a financed offer. I have the money to buy the place cash but nowhere near enough to finance the rehab.

One important thing to note is that my strategy for this is long term cash flow NOT FLIP. I could possibly use a hml and refi but i would prefer not go that route as i percieve it as risky.

Has anyone heard of banks that are willing to to 203k or other similiar rehab loans for properties which are already owned out right. If so how was it structured?

Any other ideas on how I could creatively finance this?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 612 posts · 189 votes
    13y

    USDA loans have some remodeling loan options. What I would recommend is to finance the remodeling by using a Lowes or Home Depot credit card and then refinancing when completed. You can use the equity as the down payment. The interest rate on a CC will be similar in the end to a hard money loan but without the added risks.

  • Investor · Sapulpa, OK · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Yes, you can finance a house you own with a 203k as long as it is less than 4 units.

    However, if you finance the house 203k, you must owner occupy the house for at least 1year. You cannot rent it out until your loan is up or you'll be in danger of mortgage fraud.

    Also, if you do the 203k make very very sure you are dealing with a 203k loan originator and not a regular loan officer. Ask them how many 203ks they have successfully closed in the last year. If its not more than 10, keep looking. It is a night and day difference when you get a 203k specialist.

    And they're the exact same price..ours was even cheaper in the long run.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.