What would be good terms for a partner in an investment?

What would be good terms for a partner in an investment?

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

So I made another post asking questions about a hoarding house in San Diego.

my concern now is finding a partner for the capital side of the transaction.

These numbers are not concrete as Ive not had a home inspection or contractor walk through the property with me. So let's consider this an example. 

a home that after the rehab will be worth about 610k conservatively

The seller has a need for long term payments with a 40 year term. This is necessary to supplement her income and not cause a large tax implication. No balloon in sight because of it.

The price we have discussed has been a 300k seller financed mortgage with 3.75 interest.

PMI would be about 1200 a month.

the plan for the property would be to convert the two car detached garage into a 2/1-1 1/2 roughly 750-800 sq feet ADU. With it's own parking spots and 1/3 of the backyard privately fenced in. (Theres a fantastic hospital less than a mile away so maybe travel nurse housing is an option here for more income)

Market rents for the 2/2 house would be between 1900-2200

For the ADU its be about 1500-1800

Total rent range 3400-4000

Property taxes are 500-550 a month

Rough cash flow 1100-1250 (year one)

The inside of the property would need to have: 

-All the flooring replaced. 

-The ventilation system would need replacing. (Indoor smoker)

-Either paint or replace all the drywall (again because of the smoking)

-Replace the water heater.

-Replace the heater/fan.

-Bathroom remodels

-Would prefer to remodel the kitchen because of its layout but also isnt the end of the world to not. 

During this process I'd do all that is needed of me that doesnt require a tradesmen (flooring, painting, drywall work, installs, running materials, etc) 

After all this preliminary info I'd like to know the communities opinions on how this may be structured to benefit; the capital partner, the seller, and myself. I'm new to this process and am open to all the pointers,  criticisms and concerns you all have thank you!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Dan H.:

She needs to consult a tax expert but this is what I believe

  • $250k of the gain is tax free ($500k if married) if she has been living in the home (must have lived in home for at least 2 of the last 5 years)
  • Any gain above $250k is capital gains.  She would likely pay 15% tax on any gain above the $250k.  
    cap gain is not income.   It likely would not count against her for long term care assistance but possibly the net worth would (outside my knowledge). 

I suspect she may not have a need to finance the deal, but that financing is sweet.   That financing would increase my interest.  



Even if it's tax free, the sale still shows up as income on paper.  Many of those senior programs are needs-tested, which means she can't show assets other than a primary residence - that may be what she's talking about.  There's so much variability here, though, it's really hard to give a general answer.  I'm no expert in this area.

To the OP's question, there's a ton of different ways to structure something like that.  I trust based on your question that you don't have $100k (or whatever the rehab will be) yourself and that's why you need a capital partner?  You need to decide whether you want a lender (who just gets a check every month), a partner (who gets money on the backend and shares responsibility), or an investor (who probably gets a blended current and deferred payment, but also provides advice or contacts or helps you along) - at some point, make sure you're very clear on the legal difference between those.

I've been on both of sides of all three of those.  From the OP's side, since this deal's numbers looks strong (let's assume the numbers are accurate for a sec), I would try to find a lender who you could cash out with a refi once it's done.  From the side of someone providing capital, I'd be scared that you don't have the experience or contacts to execute a rehab efficiently or operate a rental property (maybe you do, just an assumption), so I'd want more of a partnership scenario.

Based on the information provided, I would propose something along the lines of these two options:

Option 1 - You Keep Long Term Equity

  • Purchase $300k via installment sale of $14,000 per payment, paid yearly for 40 years
  • Rehab $100k (or whatever it ends up costing)
  • Title to be held in capital partner's name
  • All net rent proceeds to capital partner until they get an 18% IRR on invested capital
  • Capital parter goes away  

Option 2 - True Partnership

  • Purchase $300k via installment sale of $14,000 per payment, paid yearly for 40 years.
  • Rehab $100k (or whatever it ends up costing)
  • Form a GP or an LLC and hold title in that entity's name
  • Do the renovation.  By leaning on someone with experience, this process will go way smoother and you'd learn a ton.
  • Split all proceeds X%/Y%.  50/50 is the easy starting point that no one will look at you funny for.  But, negotiable based on value provided by each person.

On a practical level for the seller, doing a 40 year installment sale is really questionable and I'd never suggest to someone I love that they do that.  I would counsel them to do a 5 or 7 year with a balloon at the end (which could be negotiated if both parties agree again into another 5 years of installments), but, anyways.

In your shoes, I'd try to negotiate it so you get help and advice and the partner is along for the ride, but give up as little long term free cash flow and - more importantly - equity in the property as possible.

    See this reply in the discussion

    6 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      6y
      Originally posted by @Michael Ramirez:

      So I made another post asking questions about a hoarding house in San Diego.

      my concern now is finding a partner for the capital side of the transaction.

      These numbers are not concrete as Ive not had a home inspection or contractor walk through the property with me. So let's consider this an example. 

      a home that after the rehab will be worth about 610k conservatively

      The seller has a need for long term payments with a 40 year term. This is necessary to supplement her income and not cause a large tax implication. No balloon in sight because of it.

      The price we have discussed has been a 300k seller financed mortgage with 3.75 interest.

      PMI would be about 1200 a month.

      the plan for the property would be to convert the two car detached garage into a 2/1-1 1/2 roughly 750-800 sq feet ADU. With it's own parking spots and 1/3 of the backyard privately fenced in. (Theres a fantastic hospital less than a mile away so maybe travel nurse housing is an option here for more income)

      Market rents for the 2/2 house would be between 1900-2200

      For the ADU its be about 1500-1800

      Total rent range 3400-4000

      Property taxes are 500-550 a month

      Rough cash flow 1100-1250 (year one)

      The inside of the property would need to have: 

      -All the flooring replaced. 

      -The ventilation system would need replacing. (Indoor smoker)

      -Either paint or replace all the drywall (again because of the smoking)

      -Replace the water heater.

      -Replace the heater/fan.

      -Bathroom remodels

      -Would prefer to remodel the kitchen because of its layout but also isnt the end of the world to not. 

      During this process I'd do all that is needed of me that doesnt require a tradesmen (flooring, painting, drywall work, installs, running materials, etc) 

      After all this preliminary info I'd like to know the communities opinions on how this may be structured to benefit; the capital partner, the seller, and myself. I'm new to this process and am open to all the pointers,  criticisms and concerns you all have thank you!

       You have a lot to learn about rental expenses.   In high rent areas the 50% rule is conservative but for lack of a mor3 detailed approach I will use the 50%.  Pro forma should always be based on the conservative of any range.  

      $3400 (rent) - $1700 (50% rule) - $1200 (debt service (p&i)) = $500 cash flow.  

      In the expenses you are missing vacancy, cap ex, maintenance, pm, misc.   

      I suspect you would do better than the $500, but I bet the $500is closer to accurate than the $1100.  

      I definitely am not saying this does not appear to be a good opportunity because most properties in San Diego are negative using the 50% rule.  I am trying to enlighten on true expense costs.  Maintenance/cap expense is not cheap in San Diego.  Vacancies are a reality.  


      I am not clear as to your question?   Are you asking what should be terms if someone else was bringing all the money/credit and your sole contribution was finding and getting property under contract?   If you are, then you are basically wholesaling it.   If you were to have skills to manage the rehab or contributed financially then you would be more than a wholesaler. 

      Good luck

       

    • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      6y
    • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      6y
      Originally posted by @Dan H.:
      Originally posted by @Michael Ramirez:

      So I made another post asking questions about a hoarding house in San Diego.

      my concern now is finding a partner for the capital side of the transaction.

      These numbers are not concrete as Ive not had a home inspection or contractor walk through the property with me. So let's consider this an example. 

      a home that after the rehab will be worth about 610k conservatively

      The seller has a need for long term payments with a 40 year term. This is necessary to supplement her income and not cause a large tax implication. No balloon in sight because of it.

      The price we have discussed has been a 300k seller financed mortgage with 3.75 interest.

      PMI would be about 1200 a month.

      the plan for the property would be to convert the two car detached garage into a 2/1-1 1/2 roughly 750-800 sq feet ADU. With it's own parking spots and 1/3 of the backyard privately fenced in. (Theres a fantastic hospital less than a mile away so maybe travel nurse housing is an option here for more income)

      Market rents for the 2/2 house would be between 1900-2200

      For the ADU its be about 1500-1800

      Total rent range 3400-4000

      Property taxes are 500-550 a month

      Rough cash flow 1100-1250 (year one)

      The inside of the property would need to have: 

      -All the flooring replaced. 

      -The ventilation system would need replacing. (Indoor smoker)

      -Either paint or replace all the drywall (again because of the smoking)

      -Replace the water heater.

      -Replace the heater/fan.

      -Bathroom remodels

      -Would prefer to remodel the kitchen because of its layout but also isnt the end of the world to not. 

      During this process I'd do all that is needed of me that doesnt require a tradesmen (flooring, painting, drywall work, installs, running materials, etc) 

      After all this preliminary info I'd like to know the communities opinions on how this may be structured to benefit; the capital partner, the seller, and myself. I'm new to this process and am open to all the pointers,  criticisms and concerns you all have thank you!

       You have a lot to learn about rental expenses.   In high rent areas the 50% rule is conservative but for lack of a mor3 detailed approach I will use the 50%.  Pro forma should always be based on the conservative of any range.  

      $3400 (rent) - $1700 (50% rule) - $1200 (debt service (p&i)) = $500 cash flow.  

      In the expenses you are missing vacancy, cap ex, maintenance, pm, misc.   

      I suspect you would do better than the $500, but I bet the $500is closer to accurate than the $1100.  

      I definitely am not saying this does not appear to be a good opportunity because most properties in San Diego are negative using the 50% rule.  I am trying to enlighten on true expense costs.  Maintenance/cap expense is not cheap in San Diego.  Vacancies are a reality.  


      I am not clear as to your question?   Are you asking what should be terms if someone else was bringing all the money/credit and your sole contribution was finding and getting property under contract?   If you are, then you are basically wholesaling it.   If you were to have skills to manage the rehab or contributed financially then you would be more than a wholesaler. 

      Good luck

       

      You're absolutely right that I have a lot to learn. I tried running with a base of 5% in the calculator for vacancy, cap ex and maintenance, which is still leaving some out. Thank you for pointing that out.

      What would you put to conservatively evaluate those 5 areas? Seeing as how you're very close to the markets I'm in I'd be interested in your opinion.

      My question is what youre asking, but I wasnt entirely clear on this. The work I've been doing with this person is what is creating the deal she is considering. She is willing to take the work it will take to clean her property up and helping her move into another place while getting her stuff into storage as a down payment and potentially as a few months payments.. She also has property taxes I'm going to address so the sale can actually happen with a clean title. So all those things combined with everything else I mentioned is my sweat equity in this transaction.

      The hitch to this all is that she will not accept a deal where someone refinances the property because she doesnt want a lump sum. It has to be a long term low payment because she doesnt want to push herself into a different tax bracket to qualify for long term care assistance.

      I dont know enough about taxes with seller financing to know if her concern is warranted though. Which creates a grey area for my suggestions with her.

      For instance would 250k of the sale/payment be tax protected if it's done through seller financing? Shes lived in this house since 79.

      If so, would that cover a lump some were we to refinance the sale and pull out the equity to pay that exact amount?

      I dont expect you to answer these questions because there lots of them, but any info or opinions on them would be such a help with understanding these things better.

      Thank you for your input and replying in the first place.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      6y

      She needs to consult a tax expert but this is what I believe

      • $250k of the gain is tax free ($500k if married) if she has been living in the home (must have lived in home for at least 2 of the last 5 years)
      • Any gain above $250k is capital gains.  She would likely pay 15% tax on any gain above the $250k.  
        cap gain is not income.   It likely would not count against her for long term care assistance but possibly the net worth would (outside my knowledge). 

      I suspect she may not have a need to finance the deal, but that financing is sweet.   That financing would increase my interest.  



    • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6y
      Originally posted by @Dan H.:

      She needs to consult a tax expert but this is what I believe

      • $250k of the gain is tax free ($500k if married) if she has been living in the home (must have lived in home for at least 2 of the last 5 years)
      • Any gain above $250k is capital gains.  She would likely pay 15% tax on any gain above the $250k.  
        cap gain is not income.   It likely would not count against her for long term care assistance but possibly the net worth would (outside my knowledge). 

      I suspect she may not have a need to finance the deal, but that financing is sweet.   That financing would increase my interest.  



      Even if it's tax free, the sale still shows up as income on paper.  Many of those senior programs are needs-tested, which means she can't show assets other than a primary residence - that may be what she's talking about.  There's so much variability here, though, it's really hard to give a general answer.  I'm no expert in this area.

      To the OP's question, there's a ton of different ways to structure something like that.  I trust based on your question that you don't have $100k (or whatever the rehab will be) yourself and that's why you need a capital partner?  You need to decide whether you want a lender (who just gets a check every month), a partner (who gets money on the backend and shares responsibility), or an investor (who probably gets a blended current and deferred payment, but also provides advice or contacts or helps you along) - at some point, make sure you're very clear on the legal difference between those.

      I've been on both of sides of all three of those.  From the OP's side, since this deal's numbers looks strong (let's assume the numbers are accurate for a sec), I would try to find a lender who you could cash out with a refi once it's done.  From the side of someone providing capital, I'd be scared that you don't have the experience or contacts to execute a rehab efficiently or operate a rental property (maybe you do, just an assumption), so I'd want more of a partnership scenario.

      Based on the information provided, I would propose something along the lines of these two options:

      Option 1 - You Keep Long Term Equity

      • Purchase $300k via installment sale of $14,000 per payment, paid yearly for 40 years
      • Rehab $100k (or whatever it ends up costing)
      • Title to be held in capital partner's name
      • All net rent proceeds to capital partner until they get an 18% IRR on invested capital
      • Capital parter goes away  

      Option 2 - True Partnership

      • Purchase $300k via installment sale of $14,000 per payment, paid yearly for 40 years.
      • Rehab $100k (or whatever it ends up costing)
      • Form a GP or an LLC and hold title in that entity's name
      • Do the renovation.  By leaning on someone with experience, this process will go way smoother and you'd learn a ton.
      • Split all proceeds X%/Y%.  50/50 is the easy starting point that no one will look at you funny for.  But, negotiable based on value provided by each person.

      On a practical level for the seller, doing a 40 year installment sale is really questionable and I'd never suggest to someone I love that they do that.  I would counsel them to do a 5 or 7 year with a balloon at the end (which could be negotiated if both parties agree again into another 5 years of installments), but, anyways.

      In your shoes, I'd try to negotiate it so you get help and advice and the partner is along for the ride, but give up as little long term free cash flow and - more importantly - equity in the property as possible.

      • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
        6y

        Thank you both so much for the advice, the circumstances we're all in have changed the trajectory of this deal. I'm sorry to have not gotten back to you, lifes been a bit hectic. 

        I will provide updates as this deal progresses, until then stay safe and be well!

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.