Should I pay off my investment Condo with HELOC

Should I pay off my investment Condo with HELOC

Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

I just secured 50k HELOC with 3 first years fixed rate of 3.49%.

My plan was to pay off an investment condo with mortgage balance of 44k. It is Adjustable rate loan, recently 4.75% till 2023. After that rate goes up.

Haven’t done any appraisal on the condo but look like it might be worth around 75k now.

After it's paid off, I was going to get a HELOC on the condo, I found the bank who was willing to give me HELOC on investment but only when they are in a first position.

I’m wondering if that plan make sense.

My thoughts were if I pay off the condo loan, that property will be free and clear, one less mortgage to worry about and the interest rate is lower. I will obviously have a debt against my primary residence but the idea was to pay it off as quick as possible.

Secondly with HELOC, money is not tied up, when pay it down, I can still use it.

And lastly - I can get a new HELOC Against that condo and have it as a down payment for another investment. Just a side note- investment HELOC doesn't have promotional rate but that's not a big deal because it's write off anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I think you are unnecessarily complicating things, @Aleksandra U. And for what? To save 125 basis points? That's barely anything on $50k.

    Assuming your condo is performing well, let that just keep doing it's thing. Use the HELOC to fund a new investment property. Preferably a BRRRR where you could get that cash back and use it again.

  • Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    I was thinking the same but I guess my main reason for considering that route is I will have condo loan shown as paid off. Now I'm at the point few banks told me my DTI ratio is too

    High and I have too many loans.

    If I was buying another property, I’d like it to be 30 or 20 years fixed, not adjustable. And last time I talked to the bank, I was told I could only be able to get adjustable rate.

    I already had one HELOC for 35k, just replaced it with 50k.

    Seems banks look at HELOC differently as it secured debt. Doesn't count against one as much as regular mortgage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.