Need a lender for a unique jumbo cash out refi situation

Need a lender for a unique jumbo cash out refi situation

Real Estate Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 52 posts · 17 votes

Two and a half years ago my wife and I bought a fixer SFR for $450k in a neighborhood where houses rarely sell for less than a million. The rehab cost more than expected (surprise surprise) at about $650k. So we're in it for at least $1.1M but the good news is that by conservative estimates, it's now worth at least $1.2M so I think we came out okay. The problem now is that we spent nearly all our cash and we want to keep this house as a rental and buy another primary residence or maybe build an ADU or even do both.

What I'd like to do now is an 80% LTV cash out refinance. That'd be a loan amount of $960k. Our current mortgage balance is $343k so we'd cash out $617k. However, every lender I've applied with so far won't do a loan amount over $780k (which I thought was odd as I would have expected any such cap to be $765k, the conforming loan limit in this area).

Do you have experience doing a jumbo cash out refi? 

Side notes:

• Our application is solid. We have no other debt, our credit scores are over 780, and we have the income and assets to qualify. And the house will appraise, I am confident of that.

• I don't want to do a smaller loan amount on the cash out refi and then take a HELOC for the rest. I am very interested rate and interest expense sensitive. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $28k on points to get the lowest rate.

• We plan to stick pretty much all of the cash out into high interest savings accounts until we decide our next move. Why cash out now and start paying interest on money we’re not going to use right away? Because I want to keep all of our investment options on the table and not worry about a change in the housing market or lending environment.   

• We plan to keep the house for at least 30 years. It’s a retirement play.

• Rental income will start off around $6000-7000 so I expect to be break even in the long run and I’m fine with that.

• We moved back into the house. We think we’ll live here 1-5 years before buying our forever home.

I’m open to alternative scenarios I haven’t thought of.

    1Reply
    27 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Graham K. The biggest issue in the Private Lending space is that you are living in the home. If it was strictly an investment property you would have options. 

    See this reply in the discussion

    12 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Lender · Pennysylvania · Member since 2018 · 139 posts · 68 votes
      6y

      @Graham K. Folks are renting $1M properties in your area? Sheesh, seems like a risky but and hold to me. In a downturn, you should consider the risk that your rental income could drop significantly. You'd be on the hook for the difference.

      Why not just sell the thing?

    • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
      6y

      @Graham K. The biggest issue in the Private Lending space is that you are living in the home. If it was strictly an investment property you would have options. 

    • Lender · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 30 votes
      6y

      Hard Money/Private Money can provide up to 75/80% LTV on Refinances at rates starting at 7% with a great FICO and can close in 2 weeks low doc and no do options for Owner Occupied investment properties

    • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes
      6y

      Conventional should be able to take care of you. The fact that you are looking to stay and are willing to buy down your rate is a smart move consider you don't plan to refi and want to take advantage of the current low market. I don't see why $780k is an issue, but your rates will be much lower under 765k due to jumbo pricing. I'd recommend staying around there because the extra $15k can easily go right back into the rate differential. Cheers and good luck! for details. 

    • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
      6y

      Check out wholesale lender JMAC who will do a jumbo cash out at 80% all day (even for 2-4 units properties). "Newport" is the product of theirs I used. I believe they'll even do higher than 80% LTV for a single family if you have low DTI. You'll need to work with a broker to access their programs. Let me know if you need an intro.

    • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 874 posts · 355 votes
      6y
      Originally posted by @Graham K.:

      Two and a half years ago my wife and I bought a fixer SFR for $450k in a neighborhood where houses rarely sell for less than a million. The rehab cost more than expected (surprise surprise) at about $650k. So we're in it for at least $1.1M but the good news is that by conservative estimates, it's now worth at least $1.2M so I think we came out okay. The problem now is that we spent nearly all our cash and we want to keep this house as a rental and buy another primary residence or maybe build an ADU or even do both.

      What I'd like to do now is an 80% LTV cash out refinance. That'd be a loan amount of $960k. Our current mortgage balance is $343k so we'd cash out $617k. However, every lender I've applied with so far won't do a loan amount over $780k (which I thought was odd as I would have expected any such cap to be $765k, the conforming loan limit in this area).

      Do you have experience doing a jumbo cash out refi? 

      Side notes:

      • Our application is solid. We have no other debt, our credit scores are over 780, and we have the income and assets to qualify. And the house will appraise, I am confident of that.

      • I don't want to do a smaller loan amount on the cash out refi and then take a HELOC for the rest. I am very interested rate and interest expense sensitive. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $28k on points to get the lowest rate.

      • We plan to stick pretty much all of the cash out into high interest savings accounts until we decide our next move. Why cash out now and start paying interest on money we’re not going to use right away? Because I want to keep all of our investment options on the table and not worry about a change in the housing market or lending environment.   

      • We plan to keep the house for at least 30 years. It’s a retirement play.

      • Rental income will start off around $6000-7000 so I expect to be break even in the long run and I’m fine with that.

      • We moved back into the house. We think we’ll live here 1-5 years before buying our forever home.

      I’m open to alternative scenarios I haven’t thought of.

        If you plan to buy down you can get a floor rate of 5.00% I have the perfect lender for you. 

      • Real Estate Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 52 posts · 17 votes
        6y

        Thanks everyone. I was able to get an 80% LTV cash out for 3.25% with loandepot.com! That's after buying max points of course. I just needed to call around more.

      • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
        6y

        @Graham K.

        How much were you able to cash out. I’m in a similar situation.

      • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 13 votes
        5y

        Same - looking to jumbo refinance the construction of a large sf home

      • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
        5y

        @Graham K.

        In this situation I would suggest still shopping the rate and costs for this size of loan. It could mean thousands of dollars in savings. This week I went up against loan depot and was able to blow them out of the water. It wasn’t a jumbo but I would be curious as to what their numbers look like on this type of situation.

      • Stephanie P.Pro Member
        Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
        5y
        Originally posted by @Graham K.:

        Thanks everyone. I was able to get an 80% LTV cash out for 3.25% with loandepot.com! That's after buying max points of course. I just needed to call around more.

        If you got 80% at 3.25% from Loan Depot when the first guy was capping you at 65%, I'd jump at the Loan Depot deal. I don't think you'll find anything better considering the LTV.

        Stephanie

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.