Refinance from FHA + HELOC for investment property

Refinance from FHA + HELOC for investment property

Rental Property Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes

I was first stuck on getting HELOC on my primary residence to use as a downpayment for an investment property (long or short term rental)

I talked to a few lenders and have gotten an option to refinance out of my FHA loan and get a HELOC with the equity. Is this a horrible idea? Should I stick to my FHA & avoid additional fees?

loan details

  • Original loan: $176,000 at 3.25%
  • refinanced loan: $159,000, (no PMI)
  • .75 origination fee, $1600 processing, $900 tax/title
  • Free refis for life!
  • HELOC: $43,000 at 5.25% - 15 year draw

Orginal loan

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Amber Golson 2 questions on this scenario:

    1. What is your current loan balance?
    2. What is your home currently worth?

    If you can answer those I think we can advise properly. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Current balance: 159,000

    worth: ~220,000

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Amber Golson ok, thanks for that. I would 100% recommend refinancing out of a FHA loan into a Fannie/Freddie loan. Now, this is of course if it makes sense to do so but there is a small chance that it may not.

    For example, if your credit is terrible and the Fannie/Freddie loan rate is so high that it makes your payment higher than your FHA loan, then it would not make sense to refinance....but I think that would be highly unlikely.

    Now, something that caught my eye...if your loan balance is $159,000....then there's no way that your new loan balance will be $159,000. Unless the bank wants you to bring money to closing. And I would 100% recommend AGAINST that. Roll the closing costs into your new refinanced loan. Then get that HELOC and you should be good to go! Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.