Private money and hard money investing

Private money and hard money investing

South Bend, IN · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hello, 

I am thinking of asking friends and family to fund the down payments for hard money loans. They would do 10% of the total loan as the down payment. I would then get the money through the hard money lender, rehab and refinance the property. Then I would give the down payment back to my investor plus the interest rate we decide on. After that the have they option to retain 10% equity in the deal as a limited partner. They would receive 10% of the cash flow and 10% of the profit when we sell. 

This may not be a new idea, but i just wanted to get some advice. Obviously this would eat at the cash flow, but i figure if i can keep reinvesting their initial capital I could purchase so many more properties than on my own. I could even faze out investors all together once i build enough capital. 

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    7y

    @Korey Scott This is a very common strategy when starting out. Newer investors that don't have a track record will offer up an equity position in order to attract private money. Once you build yourself up, you can take that off the table. The rate you are offering is very low so I wouldn't be too concerned.

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thank you for responding. I sure appreciate it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.