How to Structure Owner Financing with Land?

How to Structure Owner Financing with Land?

Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes

I'm doing some pro forma work on a piece of land that will be sub-divided into lots and sold. My local REA has told me that Owner Financing is an attractive offer around here and will help sell lots faster (this is a more rural piece of property). I'm not opposed to this at all, and actually wouldn't mind doing it, my only concern is I would rather pay off the land as fast as possible instead of paying it off over 30 years. But what I'm really not familiar with is how would I structure this and make it an attractive offer? Do I do a smaller down payment but higher interest rate? Do I amortize it over 10 years or something more? Balloon payments? etc etc. I know theres a dozen different ways I could put something together but I wanted to know if anyone has done this and what your opinions are and how I should structure this? 

1Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Steve HodgdonPro Member
    Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 321 votes
    7y
    @Nik Moushon getting cash out of seller finance land deals is problematic. We have done several financing deals. Typically we like to buy part of the notes. We have bought notes on land sold to builders. Down payment is an indicator of borrowers intent to pay. We're in the paper business as well as real estate investments. Happy to talk off line.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.