How to finance SFH purchases beyond 3/4 units

How to finance SFH purchases beyond 3/4 units

Investor · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2010 · 12 posts · 2 votes

I am having difficulty financing SFH home purchases beyond 3/4 units due to real/perceived Fannie/Freddie constraints. How can I finance at a reasonable rate more unit purchases? Use regional banks? What if its a cash out loan as the SFH might be purchased at auction with100% cash?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
15y

Citimortgage will loan on your 5th through 10th property (spoke to them on 10/26/10 of this year, I assume nothing has changed):
* 30 year fixed
* Must have 6 mths cash reserves on all properties (Fannie standard), not just subject property
* LTV to 75%
* Only 1 and 2-unit properties, no 3's or 4's on the 5th thru 10th loan
* Lender fees $665 (this is very competitive)
* He stated up front will be lengthy underwriting, having to verify operating results on 5+ properties
* Will loan down to $10K, believe it or not.

Flagstar -> also goes to 10 loans including home (also no 3 or 4-unit after 4th property)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    SFH = Single Family House.

    I assume you mean that you are having problems getting more than four loans. You will have to get commercial or private money to get around this. The rates are not as good and they are usually ARMs.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    Chris, you're not alone! It would change most buy-and-holders business model drastically if would get endless 4-5% money.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    15y

    Citimortgage will loan on your 5th through 10th property (spoke to them on 10/26/10 of this year, I assume nothing has changed):
    * 30 year fixed
    * Must have 6 mths cash reserves on all properties (Fannie standard), not just subject property
    * LTV to 75%
    * Only 1 and 2-unit properties, no 3's or 4's on the 5th thru 10th loan
    * Lender fees $665 (this is very competitive)
    * He stated up front will be lengthy underwriting, having to verify operating results on 5+ properties
    * Will loan down to $10K, believe it or not.

    Flagstar -> also goes to 10 loans including home (also no 3 or 4-unit after 4th property)

  • Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes
    15y

    You need to find a portfolio lender. These are typically regional or local banks. The one I've talked to about this is Washington Federal. I don't know where you are but they might take a shot at it.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    It may be better to sell the individual units - do a 1031 exchange and roll the money into one larger multifamily property.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lebanon, PA · Member since 2009 · 41 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    David B,
    When you reference CitiMortgage, are you saying they're willing to do 30yr fixed loans on properties 5 thru 10?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    15y

    Mike--

    Yes, for 1 and 2-unit properties only. Flagstar would also do them, also 1 and 2-unit only. You may want to call them up to verify, as some lenders have tightened further in December from what I understand.

    I've since had discussions with a seasoned mortgage lender with US Bank who says that they'll go to 6 financed properties.

    You probably know that FNMA permits up to 10, though the underwriting is rigid. However, virtually all wholesale lenders have imposed a 4-loan limit, perhaps due to the onerous documentation requirements. They're much more labor-intensive to underwrite, and they don't get paid any more for them when reselling.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lebanon, PA · Member since 2009 · 41 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Thank you David. I am kind of a newbie. When you say 'wholesale lenders' having 4 loan limit, is that referring to investors who buy non-owner occ properties from other investors and hold them as rentals? That's what applies in my case. I own 2 investments like this now plus I have my primary residence. So I'm wondering if I'm done after my next one.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Here is a good article from The Mortgage Professor on the differences between Mortgage Lenders, Mortgage Brokers & Loan Officers:

    @Mike...Good Place To Start Reading About Wholesale Lenders

    It is quite confusing Mike...hopefully that will help some. The article touches on wholesale lenders and he has several more on his site if you want to read through it some.

    We have a mortgage with Flagstar and they are excellent. I would suggest starting there first. You can always put your loan scenario into Amerisave.com's site and use a broker too. That may be a more expensive option regarding fees, but the decreased loan costs may make up for it.

    Great posts David!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lebanon, PA · Member since 2009 · 41 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Gosh, you guys are excellent! And BP is totally awesome resource!! Thanks so much!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.