Seller Financing

Seller Financing

Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes

My realtor came across a home where his client is looking to either rent a unit or sell the 2 family outright (property not yet listed). Sounds like the seller (50's aged women) may be in financial struggle but the home most likely has no mortgage since it has been passed down from her parents who have passed. 

The seller is potentially looking for $470k for a home that is worth $440k. My offer would be to owner finance with a $400K deal, $20k downpayment and finance $380k at 2% interest. Since it is a multifamily she would continue to live in one unit, where she would pay market value for the unit. 

I believe if pitched properly the owner financing would benefit both parties, especially her since she would not have to pay taxes on a lump sum and she would be able to continue living in her home she feels comfortable in. The deal works for me since I would be paying a lower interest rate then a bank, and work for her since she would collect more money over time then what she's asking.

Two questions. 

1. Who pitches the owner financing, I believe I can help the seller understand the situation and the details better then the agent, and is it stepping over boundaries by going around the agent to speak directly to the seller?

2. Is my 2% offer for owner financing fair? Is it to low? What kind of ballon payment deadline (6-10-15 years) is standard for such deals?

This would be my first owner financing deal, I currently have a condo that I would be moving out of and renting to move into one unit of this multi-family.

Any other information or help is greatly appreciated.

-Matt

0Reply
22 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Darn! This was a great post! I am looking into seller financing now and yours was a perfect example. I wonder how this turned out...

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Diego Briceno I am now too! By any chance did you come across any answers?

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    hi @Account Closed We have actually made two offers so far using seller financing and creative financing. Neither was accepted, but we got good lessons so far. The goal is to offer zero down turn them into Lease to own to exit within 3 years. 

    I think seller financing with a lease to own exit strategy is a great solution where everyone wins.  What is your approach to seller financing?

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Diego Briceno currently we have an owner who currently owns 100% of the property but is so run down that’s the price will be really low, we’re current waiting from a reply of the owner.

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Diego Briceno that is also th strategy I am pursuing, I’m thinking of doing 10% down but after h

    Reading your post may reconsider doing no money down if we get a response from the seller

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.