Seller carry a 2nd on a conforming primary residence purchase

Seller carry a 2nd on a conforming primary residence purchase

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 3 votes

I have been renting the condo I am living in for a year and the seller has agreed to sell it to me. Her realtor is representing both of us. The appraisal just came back $50k under contract price. As far as I can think of these are my options:

  1. The seller can carry a note on the condo for the 50k difference
  2. I can give the seller a 2nd on one of my rental properties for 50k as security for a note
  3. I bring 50k cash to close ( I don't have $50k additional cash )
  4. She reduces her sale price to the appraised price (not likely )
  5. Roll the dice and try a local lender that the realtor suggests (realtor has asked this several times)

I have asked the seller to reduce the sales price to meet in the middle, but for discussion lets assume the price will not change.

I haven't talked to my lender about what I can do but I thought I could get some ideas here before inundating her with requests and questions.

Some general notes. I can afford the payments on the 50k note as well as this mortgage, even my lender would agree that my DTI would still be fine. I hope to live in this condo for many years, and if Im upside down for some years I wont be too bothered, its just nice to have a predicable housing payment. The market is Santa Barbara, CA. My lender is out of town but Ive worked with them on 2 other loans. They are the best Ive worked with. I am doing a 20% down conventional loan.

I have bought 4 SFRs in other markets in the last few years but this situation is unusual for me so I would appreciate any insights. Thanks!

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Brian G. The elephant in the room here.. Why would you want to pay $50K over appraised value?!!
  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Good question. I forgot to cover that. Supply in my market is very low. It is common for single family homes to sell for cash in the  $1M range. If this unit goes on the market it could sell for cash over appraised value. 5 or so similar units have sold in this range just this year so far. I have been looking in this market for years and just getting an offer accepted and not being outbid by a cash buyer is rare.  I saw a home with several unpermitted additions sell for around $1.5M last year down the street from here. 

    I'm comfortable overpaying and being upside down for several years. 

    @Mark Gallagher

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    10y

    @Brian G.

    Why don't you see if the realtor will work for a flat $10K to get the deal done. Then the seller can reduce the price $50K and get the same net offer. Better for the realtor to get $10K than to get nothing at all? This is assuming the purchase price is $1M and the commission is 6%. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.