Paying off HELOC used for downpayment on Investment Property

Paying off HELOC used for downpayment on Investment Property

Investor · Metuchen, NJ · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 34 votes

So I am trying to be a bit more creative with financing my first investment property. My wife and I bought a home a year ago and after talking to a big bank financial officer about taking out a HELOC on our primary residence, he said they should be able to do 90% LTV on the home which would give us $56,000. This is assuming I am low risk. If I am higher risk, I'll assume they might only do 80% which would give us $21,000. We have some cash reserves but would like to keep that for emergencies, vacations, future renovations on our primary residence, and future kids. That is why we started looking into drawing into our home equity to get started and get the ball rolling on real estate investing.

In either case (whether we get 90% LTV or 80% LTV), we are planning on partnering 50/50 with my father in law on SFRs with a target price of $100k. That would be $25k for a 25% down payment. Split that 50/50 is $12.5k plus closing costs, taxes, any minor renos, etc. So assume I use up $20k on my end total (father in law puts in another $20k for his half) for all upfront costs.

Im still learning about HELOCs and how they work, but I am reading that it is similar to a credit card and will affect our credit score. Assuming the same general rules apply, would taking out $20k be harmful to me considering it is more than 30% in scenario 1 where heloc LTV is 90%? and even worse in scenario 2 where LTV is 80% and taking out $20k would be almost using up the entire line of credit?

How do most of you use this strategy (using HELOC on primary residence for down payment on investment property)? And how are you paying it off?

I assume you want to pay it off ASAP. If that is the case, I would probably just use my income from our jobs to pay off the heloc, which could still end up taking years to pay off. Since we are interested in buy and hold, the cash flow coming in from the rental could be used to help pay off the HELOC, not much but still something. I would care more about obtaining properties rather than actually achieving cashflow initially so long as eventually I have rental properties that cash flow once the initial HELOC used to obtain them is paid off.

Do you guys have any guidelines or tips when using HELOCs from your primary residence to cover the down payment on an investment property?

Thanks!

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
10y

@Arjay Vergara,

I would (and have) applied for the max. Otherwise your money is just trapped in your house earning whatever appreciation your house is earning. I much prefer to pull it out and invest it and earn money on top of the appreciation which you will earn regardless.

The best use of a HELOC is short term strategies such as Daria outlined (fix and flips or BRRRR). That way you can use the funds over and over again. You will have to look harder for those deals though. Never count on appreciation unless you are providing it by adding value with your renovations.

I will also reiterate to never forget that you are putting your house at risk. I don't think that is any reason not to do it, but you absolutely need to understand that and be smart with that money or you could lose your house.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    10y

    I plan to use my HELOC as either down payment or "light" rehabs for my properties. I buy and hold and the purpose I would use it for would allow me to buy the property and pay it off after 6 months to a year, likely refinance to pay off. I don't want to have my HELOC open and making payments for a long time - a long time to me is more than a year.

    It's on your primary so you don't want to jeopardize your home if something goes awry. Recently, I found that some lenders will do a HELOC on an investment property (for your future reference).

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Metuchen, NJ · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @Daria B.

    Thanks for the input. How are you able to refinance? Do you count on appreciation or are you renovating the property so that it can appraise higher when it comes time to refinance. And is your cash out refi enough to cover your HELOC?

    Im curious to know how much I should apply for (the max I can get or just the amount I need)?  

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    10y

    @Arjay Vergara,

    I would (and have) applied for the max. Otherwise your money is just trapped in your house earning whatever appreciation your house is earning. I much prefer to pull it out and invest it and earn money on top of the appreciation which you will earn regardless.

    The best use of a HELOC is short term strategies such as Daria outlined (fix and flips or BRRRR). That way you can use the funds over and over again. You will have to look harder for those deals though. Never count on appreciation unless you are providing it by adding value with your renovations.

    I will also reiterate to never forget that you are putting your house at risk. I don't think that is any reason not to do it, but you absolutely need to understand that and be smart with that money or you could lose your house.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    10y

    @Arjay Vergara I would parrot what @Edward B. said.

    Short term is what you want to use it for. When I speak of refinancing, I learned that if I used the money to purchase a home, 6 months later I could refinance to pull out the equity to pay off the HELOC and still be in a good cash flow position. Keep in mind that this needs to be a very well thought out strategy and the numbers have to work in order to get the HELOC paid off and your property to continue to cash flow.

    I have yet to execute this but I did get the HELOC last year and it's patiently waiting on me to find a great deal.

    As far as using it for "light" rehab, I would use it for things like bundling together doing paint and buying appliances and if needed things like kitchen cabinets, if I need to. Those can be repaid easier and quicker than paying cash for a house and then waiting 6 months to refinance.

    You will want to get as much as you feel comfortable getting in the HELOC. I got 80% LTV.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.