Creative Financing advice for a unique property and business

Creative Financing advice for a unique property and business

Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes

Hello BP,

I have an opportunity for a unique property that doesn't really fit into traditional lending portfolios and I could really use some advice for developing a creative acquisition strategy. 

Background: In 2011, I had the thought to open a DIY auto garage after realizing my personal automotive efforts were being hindered by a lack of space, tools/equipment, and personal know-how. As a District Manager for Hertz Rent-a-Car, it was easy for me to understand the renting of time. This process eventually led me to "car condos" or higher end storage units for higher end or classic vehicles. I found the land in the areas convenient to the desired target market to be expensive and had to look at land outside of those areas. While doing so, I realized in order to maintain the desire to store their vehicles in a unit outside of a 5 mile radius, I would have to provide my customers with a compelling reason to visit the site. Since these folks are car people, it made sense to offer some sort of driving experience. 

I concluded that the best way to do this was to combine the DIY garage and social club concept with the car condos and a driving experience at a track. Since I already had some industry contacts after two years of research studying tracks, country clubs, and even equestrian facilities (I have a list of 4,147 private country clubs; 169 private equestrian communities; 866 ski centers & resorts and 23 private automotive clubs that include at least one road course), I found a underperforming road course and go-kart track not far from my original intended location (within a 2 hr drive). This was optimal as I found I could purchase the existing facility, upgrade it, and introduce new revenue streams for less than 1/3 the cost of building a new facility which would require a huge amount of investor capital. 

After another year of attempting to raise money, negotiating with the owners, speaking with engineers, architects, industry specific professionals, and revising my plans, I feel as if the purchase is within touching distance - yet still so far away and could use some assistance from more experienced investors.

Basics: The track needs some updating as do the grounds and facilities. However, the track and facilities appraised in 2013 ~$6M. It is currently cash flowing and profitable yet marginally. Using the P&L from 2014, I developed projections simply by adjusting current pricing (marginally) and cutting excessive and wasteful spending. My net projections for Yrs 1-5 are : $81k, 258k, 725k, 778k, and $1.13M, respectively, including a balloon payment in Yr.5. These do not include any additional revenue from the sale of car condos on-site or overnight accommodations nor the two major event organizers (Formula E & Formula Drift) who have welcomed discussions on having an event at the facility should I manage to wrap things up.

My plan and the area I need help: I believe the facility could be purchased for $2.75M (which is roughly 13x the 2014 EBITDA). I suggested to the ownership seller financing and asked if some of the existing ownership would be interested in rolling over a minimum of $500k for improvements and marketing. These would be considered with the right deal structure. I would also need to source another ~$500k to complete the first phase of renovations and initiate the marketing plan.

In summary, I need to develop a plan that secures the facility and allows for sufficient operating capital to meet the sales targets either through a creative seller financing package, an asset backed loan, or by some stroke of luck finding a partner who sees the vision. 

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the greater BP community and welcome feedback, advice, and constructive criticism openly.

Thanks, Ryan

0Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    See if I can get some traction here on a busier night.

    Thanks BP!

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y
    Is 13x EBITDA standard in this industry? I am not familiar with this industry but it strikes me as too much risk for not a lot of reward.
  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Percy N. I had a candid discussion with the owner representative who stated a pure financial play at 10x EBITDA would be turned down. Having evaluated the cost of building a new facility vs. purchasing and improving this one, this purchase would be 1/3 the cost of a new site. Given the discussion I had with the owners and the cost of building a new one, I felt 13 was reasonable enough to get them to sell while maintaining the budget.

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Toth, are there comps that support the valuation?

    Have you asked for audited financials and gone through it with a fine tooth comb?

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Percy N. unfortunately these facilities don't often come on the market. There are probably 10 in the country right now, however the majority are ovals or dirt tracks. Quite different markets of course.

    I suppose the closest to an actual comp would be the recent sale of Miller Motorsports Park in UT to a Chinese investment group. It went for $20M. However it was 500+ acres and a well known facility with a number of sanctioned events and a variety of configurations. Per the appraisal there are a number of comps for the land parcels themselves (two) however the rock base for the track eclipses those numbers itself as the area is quite rural. 

     I do have the financials for the last four years. And have picked them apart. Since I based all of my projections off the 2014 numbers, I had to look at them closely. I probably have about 10-15 different financial scenarios. In my professional life, I am tasked with evaluating business performance so this comes quite naturally to me. As an example, there is a lot of excess spending, so I cut that and saved almost $150k. That's where most of my net revenue comes from in Yr 1 as I didn't adjust pricing or volume simply to stay on the conservative side.

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Regarding the seller finance component- I read capital gains tax is a big advantage. What other perks should I be pitching? Also, is there any method to pulling out potential equity or using the appraisal to fund a down payment for the owners and add some funds for improvements?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.