Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Warcken
Pro Member
Votes |
How to finance a rehab

Jamie Warcken
Pro Member
Posted

We are nearly finished renovating a rental property in Oklahoma, and have started rehabbing our primary home in Tucson, AZ. My husband was recently transferred to SLC, UT, and we're updating to potentially rent or sell. Or maybe we stay and he commutes. The trouble is, we're almost out of cash to complete our primary rehab! 

My feeble mind is having trouble figuring out the best way to pay for it all. We have five doors on three properties in OK, all purchased as BRRRRs, starting in 2022. But because of rising interest rates, none of the BRRRRs have made financial sense so far. One would've netted us ~$15k, another only ~$1k, and the third is the triplex currently being renovated. 

The interest rate on the triplex is 7.5%, but because I took out a construction loan to help offset renovation costs, my lender says the ARV was already baked in, and a refinance would not make sense on that property either. I suppose that requires a second (or third or fourth) opinion, but if he's right, where can I pull cash from to both complete our primary home, and refill the RE emergency fund I'm currently depleting?

My only idea so far is to cash out the contributions we've made to our Roth IRAs, and pull the amount of qualified medical expenses from our HSAs (total ~$80k). Side note: My husband and I are currently funemployed (we both have seasonal jobs) until October, so not sure if we could qualify for traditional re/financing options at this time. Thoughts?

Loading replies...