Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Beth Thorne
Votes |
155+ Acres w/ Renovated Geothermal Nearly Net Zero Farmhouse & Cannabis Growing Bldng

Beth Thorne
Posted

155 farmland acres + renovated farmhouse + a startup cannabis business, in excellent Maryland location. Beautiful and picturesque, adorable small town, Land is in a preservation zone, but there are ways besides subdivision to make money on land. Renting to farmers, tax incentives for farmers. Resell value will be ridiculous if held for a few years. Whole surrounding area and county is being developed.

Our plan is to turn one of the buildings into a cannabis micro grower. We are familiar with the process. There is a shortage of product and limited certified growers in the state, so the demand at dispensaries and processors is very high. Maryland is also considering making psilocybin legal (next few years likely). Great idea to get in on the ground floor in that market, meeting with officials. I’m a very hands on entrepreneur, own a small prime government contracting business. Also, we plan to make the farmhouse and growing building/s nearly net zero, which will lower cost of utilities to zero. It will also significantly raise the resale amount. The money is spent in the initial investment of renovations, which also include tax incentives, grants and other incentives.

Project can be completed in 6 months.
TOTAL INVESTMENT: $4 million

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied

Beth,  utls are huge for Cannabis .  What we have seen on the west coast is first folks in did well to real well.. now its in the dumps.. most are losing money hand over fist.. I have to think it works if there is limited licenses .. so you can control the production and not over produce like what has happened out west.

User Stats

Votes
Beth Thorne
Votes |
Replied

We’re building out the building to be nearly net zero, geothermal and solar; it costs about $100K but there are rebates and tax incentives and rebates. The utilities will cost nothing (hence zero net).

There are a limited amount of growers, processors and dispensaries in MD so the market is controlled.

https://cannabis.maryland.gov/Pages/Cannabis-Business-Licens...

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Beth Thorne:

We’re building out the building to be nearly net zero, geothermal and solar; it costs about $100K but there are rebates and tax incentives and rebates. The utilities will cost nothing (hence zero net).

There are a limited amount of growers, processors and dispensaries in MD so the market is controlled.

well then the big money players should be lining up for this..  I know many in Oregon that got in and went bust.. my partner in my airplane lost about 500k on his grow venture. 

User Stats

Votes
Beth Thorne
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
Quote from @Beth Thorne:

well then the big money players should be lining up for this..  I know many in Oregon that got in and went bust.. my partner in my airplane lost about 500k on his grow venture. 

That sucks, I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know much about the Oregon market but Maryland is very controlled and it’s not easy to get a license. There’s also a really high demand for certain strains, which we will be growing.

…so how can can I contact these big players who may be interested? Asking for a friend lol