Equity in a deal in exchange for sweat equity

Equity in a deal in exchange for sweat equity

Property Manager · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 32 votes

What's the best way to structure a deal if I were only bringing sweat equity into the deal? I have an open offer to kick in some sweat equity for a larger multi-family deal, should I find something that works. 

How and when do I leverage that equity - is that only at time of sale? I'm not sure if equity is the best way to go about this if I can't capitalize on it for at least 5-years. 

0Reply
5 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ ExnerPro Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gabe R. Gonzalez:

    What's the best way to structure a deal if I were only bringing sweat equity into the deal? I have an open offer to kick in some sweat equity for a larger multi-family deal, should I find something that works. 

    How and when do I leverage that equity - is that only at time of sale? I'm not sure if equity is the best way to go about this if I can't capitalize on it for at least 5-years. 


    I would ask for a portion of ownership within the LLC taking ownership of the property. It would be very similar to a ‘credit' partner or ‘experience' partner when getting optimal rate and terms on a loan, except in this case you would be a member of the entity in question. It also ensures your name in print somewhere in case something happens.

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gabe R. Gonzalez:

    What's the best way to structure a deal if I were only bringing sweat equity into the deal? I have an open offer to kick in some sweat equity for a larger multi-family deal, should I find something that works. 

    How and when do I leverage that equity - is that only at time of sale? I'm not sure if equity is the best way to go about this if I can't capitalize on it for at least 5-years. 


     Hey Gabe ! What you want is a joint venture agreement that outlines the responsibilities of each party 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.