Structuring Subject-to Deals

Structuring Subject-to Deals

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
Hi everyone, newbie investor and new to the community. I have been reading a lot about creative finance and I have some questions specifically related to subject-to deals.

I understand the big picture - seller for one reason or another needs to get out of their mortgage payments and so we can step in and take over those payments for them.

I need help with the finer details.

What else does the seller (or should the seller) get out of this kind of deal? For example - let's say the seller has no equity and would owe money if they sold the property and they are no longer able to make payments. They are facing foreclosure. I could step in, take over their payments, and what then? They just walk away from the house? No money for them? Wipe their hands clean and now it's all mine? Do they not usually get some kind of down payment, compensation, or something else out of the deal? I actually think if they are in a bad situation then this would be good enough for them, but I want to know what else sellers generally get out of a subject-to deal other than just being able to hand the payments over to someone else. Should they cover closing costs, or the buyer? Do we, as the buyer, offer to cover their moving costs? etc. etc.


What about a situation where maybe they have some equity in the house,
but for one reason or another they cannot make payments and they don't
want to go through the process of working with an agent to list the
property and try to sell the house? Could subject-to work for this as
well?

What about the paperwork, then? We may not be working with agents and so how does the paperwork get done? As I said, I understand the concept, but putting this kind of contract into the language of the law is above my capabilities. Do title companies step in here and make sure everything is legitimate and legal? Do they have attorneys at these title companies to oversee the transaction and make sure both parties understand the contract? Or should I bring my own attorney every time?

I know - long post, lots of questions, sorry in advance but I really appreciate any feedback/input or advice regarding this!
0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Coach · Riverside County, CA · Member since 2017 · 238 posts · 157 votes
    3y

    Hi Jeff, your questions are really a whole lesson in itself.  There's a few subject-to guru's who like many guru's make it sound a whole lot easier than it actually is...  I've done a few subject to's, very specific situations that created a win/win for both myself and the borrower.  There's a good amount of trust in the transaction for sure, and imagine being the seller who sells his house to you for zero, its awesome you're going to make his mortgage payments, but the seller is still the borrower, who is ultimately responsible for the loan, not you, and its their credit taking the hit is something goes wrong.  In addition, what is the seller wants to rebuy in a year, two years... and then realizes their credit/debt etc is affected by the outstanding loan they have on a house they dont own.

    The contract is easier than it sounds.  My purchase contract has a section that I complete to say "being purchased subject to the existing mortgage of X balance".  In california, as long as you have a good escrow officer that understand its, the contract is simple.  

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    If they are upside down and a foreclosure is pending, you would be better off doing a short-sale. Don't let the name fool you. It takes a long time. The term comes from the bank allowing the note to sell short of the full value. Seller takes no foreclosure hit on credit report and walks away typically with $3,000 in his pocket. You work with an agent who can find comps where you want them to be and present to the bank. There are no guarantees they will accept, and you cannot be related to the seller. The bank handles their side of the fees.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.