HELOC from 1st ever rental to do 2nd rental

HELOC from 1st ever rental to do 2nd rental

Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 22 votes

I just moved home and living with my parents so I have no primary mortgage. I just completed my first BRRRR deal last month and about to complete rehab on it next week.

I bought it for $87k with 25% down pmt (21.7k) and paid 35k in rehab costs, so all in around 60k after closing costs. We're expecting ARV to be 150k.

I was planning on refi but wondering if HELOC is a better option with current interest rates at around 7-8%. I'd still cash flow with refi but I'm not sure how to do the numbers if I did HELOC to pay for down payment on purchase +rehab on next deal. I went to REIA meeting yesterday where I got connected to a lot of hard money, local bank, and private lenders and I couldn't sleep last night thinking of all the possibilities. One local bank said they have no seasoning period on refi so I wonder if that applies to HELOC. Not sure how it works, so can someone tell me their experience using HELOCs from freshly rehabbed deal to scale to next deal? Thanks

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Malcomb StapelPro Member
Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 669 posts · 488 votes
3y

@Chris Momongan I have some experience with doing this. Keep in mind that the bank is going to loan at 75-80% ltv. So if your at $150k ARV you will be looking at whatever this difference from $112,500- $120,000 and what you have in it. Depending on what your rents end up being that could drive the ARV up more.

Otherwise, I like the HELOC option because it allows me to have the buying power ready, without paying on anything I'm not using. The only downside would be if the bank suddenly decided they aren't doing these anymore due to economic conditions or some other unforeseen circumstance.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Malcomb StapelPro Member
    Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 669 posts · 488 votes
    3y

    @Chris Momongan I have some experience with doing this. Keep in mind that the bank is going to loan at 75-80% ltv. So if your at $150k ARV you will be looking at whatever this difference from $112,500- $120,000 and what you have in it. Depending on what your rents end up being that could drive the ARV up more.

    Otherwise, I like the HELOC option because it allows me to have the buying power ready, without paying on anything I'm not using. The only downside would be if the bank suddenly decided they aren't doing these anymore due to economic conditions or some other unforeseen circumstance.

  • Aaron BealBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Spokane, WA · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Do all HELOC's have a variable interest rate?

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Aaron Beal:

    Do all HELOC's have a variable interest rate?


     Some have a feature that allow you to fix a portion of the line for a certain term, usually at their current equity loan rates. As you pay down principal on the fixed portion your available credit line grows again. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Needham, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Isn't that HELOC you can take only from primary residence?

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Sanjeev Jha, I called community banks and credit unions in my local area, and found one that do HELOCs on rental properties.  They are out there, but it takes some time to find.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.