Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alexa Shewey
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
HELP! Land deal analysis

Alexa Shewey
  • Vancouver, WA
Posted

Hi all, I would love some help on how to run the numbers on an opportunity we have right now and the best way to finance it. We have a property we want to make an offer on that has a 3/2 1676 sqft house on 2.2 acres. The seller wants 600,000 and is willing to seller finance, he owns is outright with his two brothers. We would need to put in at least 100,000 for rehab on the house. Then we would get the entitlements on the land and hopefully have 11 paper lots and a remodeled house to sell after 2 years and pay no capital gains up to 500,000 as we would live in the house during the 2 years. I think it will cost 150,000 to have the engineering done for the entitlements.

1. How do I figure out a value for the paper lots?

2. How do I calculate the deal? I don’t know yet how to analyze land deals. I also get a bit confused on how to calculate the house flip into everything.

3. How should we structure the deal from a financing perspective?

We have the option to have a partner on the mortgage which would be a 300,000 mortgage in our name and our partner would pay the 300,000 cash down payment. Then we would split the development costs and both be in 50/50. Or we can finance it seller financing and have the 600,000 in our name and have our partner in around 300,000 to be conservative for the development costs, rehab of house, and closing costs and split it 66/34.

4. If my husband and I file jointly and makes less than the 0% threshold we would not have to pay any capital gains tax correct?

So thankful for any and all help!

Loading replies...