Do any banks do collateral loan based on private illiquid stocks?

Do any banks do collateral loan based on private illiquid stocks?

New to Real Estate · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 8 votes

Hello!

My aerospace company (over 10,000 employees) pays me highly in private stock, more than my salary at this point. My the average yearly return on the company stock is over 30%. Since this is much higher than conventional real estate buy and hold, I’d like to not sell any of it.

I’ve heard of banks lending based on stock portfolios for collateral. However being a private stock with offerings to cash out only twice a year, it doesn’t seem like any bank or private lender would want to let me borrower against it due to illiquidity and private shares.

Have you ever heard of a less liquid private stock used as collateral for a loan? What type of lender should I be looking for?

1Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Austin Texas · Member since 2022 · 319 posts · 156 votes
    4y

    Hey Zach,

    Depending on the lender they can usually take into account about 50% of your stock holdings illiquid or not. However, the first question they are going to ask you is how you are intending to pay for the down payment.

    Hope this helps!

  • New to Real Estate · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Issac San Miguel

    The purpose of the line of credit would be for a 20% down payment on an investment property. My credit score is high, but I don’t have cash for a down payment. So I was wondering if I could borrow against my private stock. Do you have any recommended lenders that would do this line of credit for use on a down payment?

  • Lender · Austin Texas · Member since 2022 · 319 posts · 156 votes
    4y

    I have not heard of a product but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist - let me put a feeler out there. have you identified a property?

  • New to Real Estate · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Issac San Miguel

    I have not chosen a property yet, though I’ve had a few options in mind. It’s partly dependent on how much credit would be allowed, but looking in TX at the moment.

    Yes, that would be super helpful! Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.