How bad am I screwing my lender if I refinance immediately after?

How bad am I screwing my lender if I refinance immediately after?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

For background, I am not an investor. I am buying a home for myself.

My situation right now: I'm about 4 days away from close, and my lender has started treating me very poorly.

My understanding is that this LO is also the owner, the CFO, and the bank of his small mortgage company. He also seems to own the document processing company.

I don't want to go into the nasty details, but he started off as unprofessional and then has devolved into some really psycho behavior, after I gave him some neutrally/professionally-worded feedback that he took personally. I thought I was being helpful, but he completely lost it for reasons unknown. His behavior is truly shocking. It's clear that he is dealing with some sort of emotional instability, as he sort of began ranting and raving at me about things that had nothing to do with me or my feedback, and other crazy stuff like making things up that didn't happen that I would obviously know weren't true.

There are 2 reasons this is upsetting:

1) He knows it will cost me to fire him. There is very little chance I'd be able to get an extension for another lender 4 days before close. To me, it is unethical to treat a customer horribly when they have no recourse.

And 2) I am scared with this level of unprofessionalism and instability, he will rescind or something for no reason. Seeing as I did absolutely nothing to prompt him to freak out, I'm in a position of worrying about whether I'll actually get my house.

I'm also just plain not okay with having been treated this way, naturally. I am very uncomfortable doing business with this person.

Since he funds the loan himself, my understanding is that he would personally receive all my interest payments over the course of the loan. I simply am not willing to keep having a business relationship with him, and I am willing to incur a little cost to refinance immediately after closing.

My question is, what are the likely repercussions to my refinancing, for him? I don't know what applies when someone is doing everything except servicing the loan.

Even though I feel he is behaving unethically, I still want all the information before I decide. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Any help here would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
5y

@Sarah Bee It's no big deal for him. He makes his money on loan origination fees. It will hurt you more because you'll be paying closing costs twice

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    There are no repercussions, he made out on the closing costs and he will be refunded the money. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hardest part is going to be finding another lender to refi without any seasoning. They are out there though.

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Bee It's no big deal for him. He makes his money on loan origination fees. It will hurt you more because you'll be paying closing costs twice

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    A shady private self-funding LO may have an early pay off penalty.  Watch for that. 

    With all the great local banks and lenders out there it pays to shop around.  Good luck and sorry you are going through this with this person. 

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    It's fairly rare that a lender would retain servicing on a loan, especially a small lender like this. Unless it's his own funds that he's lending out. He will likely sell the loan to Wells or something at close. I would wait to refinance because the loan will likely be sold a day after closing.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Not sure why if you were having problems, you'd try to offer feedback as that usually doesn't go over well.

    Check out what happens if you switch lenders after you close-what are the penalties?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.