When Selling...Should I Do Seller Financing or Land Contract?

When Selling...Should I Do Seller Financing or Land Contract?

Jennifer WardPro Member
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 42 votes

I need some advice. I have a property that I purchased in Indianapolis to flip but things aren't panning out as I hoped. I am now trying to sell the property and offering seller financing. I have someone interested, but they are only offering 3k down on a 63.5k purchase price, with 10% interest for 12 months. If rehabbed the projected ARV is 145k.

I haven't done this before, so I am wondering if I should pursue traditional seller financing where the deed will be transferred in the buyer's name or do a land contract where the deed stays in my name until they pay off the Note?

Also, any other tips and due diligence suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Westchester, NY · Member since 2021 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Ward

    I would do a land contract with a balloon payment after 3-5 years. At which point you can renegotiate the terms or they find other financing to pay the balloon payment and get the deed.

    I always have my sellers keep the title in their name until there is a full payment to them in whatever form that needs to be in.

  • Jennifer WardPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    I should clarify, the property currently isn't livable...no mechanicals and electric isn't wired to the panel, so not sure if that makes a different with land contract vs traditional seller financing.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 206 posts · 127 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Ward 5% equity requires you to foreclose even on a land contract in Indiana. Not a lot of benefits anymore. I personally would sell on a note and mortgage. 

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    5y

    Hi, Feel free to reach out and can share my experience. I would love to help you in any way I can.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.