Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
James Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dover, NH
Votes |
Challenging an Appraiser

James Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dover, NH
Posted Dec 17 2020, 20:12

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a small success story on challenging an appraiser, mainly because before I just (successfully) did it this week, I honestly wasn't sure if it was a thing you were "Allowed" to do, much less if it actually worked.

Just for background; I was looking to do a cash-out refi on a property. The home in question was a 3-unit in NH, with gross rent of 72k, and we were looking for a 600,000 appraisal. Being that it was in a small town of only 4000, the comps I (and the appraiser) looked at were from the next town over, of about 30,000 people.

The appraisal came back at 525,000....so 75k short of what we were looking for. Looking at the comps, I knew something was wrong right away, even with not knowing the actual practices of how appraisers really come to their values. I simply looked at the average of price per unit, GRM, price per bedroom, and price per room that he figured out for the three comps. Then I looked at the numbers he valued our property at, and he used substantially lower values for each of these figures, while giving no justification for why he chose those lower numbers. For instance, the average price per unit of comparable properties was $225,000 yet he used a valuation of $175,000 for my property. Or the average GRM of the subject properties was 116, and he used 86 for ours in calculating the income approach method of valuation. One of the comps was even well over a year old (and happened to be my next door neighbor so I knew intimately about the quality of the property and the rents), and the appraiser had ignored, or missed, better comps.

Being that I was going to have 80k less cash than I thought was a bit of a problem, so I resolved to challenge the appraisal as it just overall seemed sloppy, and very out of line with what I thought the value should be.  I simply wrote up a list of comps from the area, showed why they were more accurate, what made them more in line with the subject property, and roughly adjusted their prices according to the adjustments the appraiser had done (for things like sq footage, garages etc). Then I went over the three comps specifically, and why the comps the appraiser chose were worse and less like the subject property than the comps I came up with. Then I pointed out the discrepancies in the amount per units and the valuation he used on our property. I think this part was key. I emphasized repeatedly that no justification was ever given for any of these lower values. And that he needed to justify his reasons for doing so, whether they were some weighted aspect he didn't list, some secret formula he used, or just gut feeling.

I sent it off to my loan officer, and when the appraisal came back a few days later, the value had magically changed to 600k. He had added a comp that sold for 750k to balance out his equations (I believe he could not use the comps I listed, which were more accurate, due to how bad that would look professionally or ethically), and STILL lowered the value of our property (per unit, per room etc) relative to the comps, but not by enough that it didn't get me the value of 600,000 that I wanted (using the metrics of the comps, my place is valued between 675-700k). I think this was pure laziness, and rather than being forced to justify his amounts, he just went and found some reason to change the values without having to do extra work by adding a higher priced comp. This is why I believe demanding justifications for the lower values was a key point in getting the appraisal changed.

My point in all of this was that if an appraisal comes back low, look it over carefully and see if something to you, as a layman, sticks out as off. You don't really have much to lose in challenging a low appraisal, and making sure you have good data to back up what you think the value should be. I was worried I'd be laughed out of the room by the bank or appraiser, where they told me how naive I was and how appraising really worked. Instead the appraiser changed it without really refuting any of the points I brought up, and the bank just said "nice work" cause now I get to give them more money after they give me more money.

So try and challenge the appraisal, I don't see how it can hurt.

Loading replies...