Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Elijah Householder
  • Corona, CA
Votes |
FHA vs. Coventional

Elijah Householder
  • Corona, CA
Posted Sep 27 2020, 19:02

Hello all,

Pretty new to the forum still so apologies if this is in the wrong spot. But I have a question about conventional mortgages vs FHA.

I am looking to “househack” within the next 1-2 years. I am a recent grad and saving enough to put around 10% on 2-3 unit property with a PP of around $400k-$600k (In Socal so dont have many cheaper options).

So my question is, is there any reason I should choose an FHA over conventional? I know FHA offers a 3.5% but aren't first time home buyers able to do a 3% with conventional? Plus PMI drops off unlike MIP for an FHA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Sep 27 2020, 19:20

@Elijah Householder

Talk to a lender. If you need a referral direct message me.

It should boil down to your credit score. With a better score, pmi will be cheaper with a conventional loan since the private market will take a risk on you. If your score is poor, the private market will have high premiums so the gov't backed FHA loan will wind up being cheaper.

Of course, if you can get a conventional I’d go that way.. but it’s going to depend on your personal circumstances..

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 28 2020, 05:54

@Elijah Householder

FHA is the most "units friendly" way to purchase a property. With 3.5% down, it has the lowest barrier to entry. There are caveats though. As you mentioned, MI doesn't fall off with FHA and there's financed upfront MI as well, so with the lower barrier to entry comes long term cost not to mention the self sustainability rule for properties with 3-4 units.

If you can come up with the additional down payment (5% vs 3.5%), Freddie Mac's Home Possible is the superior loan product to use for 3-4 unit properties.

To answer your question about 3% vs 3.5%, 3% is for single family homes, not units.  Having a multi family property is the ultimate way to house hack, but having roommates, if you qualify without their income works as well.

Hope that helps

Stephanie

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ablan
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Watertown, NY
Replied Sep 28 2020, 06:03

@Elijah Householder - FHA is a great loan for people who can't qualify for the 3% conventional products. If you can qualify for the conventional product then you should absolutely do that

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Sep 28 2020, 06:06

@Elijah Householder

You can google it... I thought the min down payment requirement increases as you have more units when dealing with multi families..

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 28 2020, 06:10

As a seller, I don't allow or give serious consideration to offers with FHA financing, especially with older properties.

Regular appraisals right now in my area are taking 6--8 weeks. I doubt FHA are faster to happen, but at least they will have more subject-to's and seller corrects.

I'd save the extra 1.5% or so for the dp and go conventional if possible👍

User Stats

Votes
Eric Johnson
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 28 2020, 07:22

@Steve Vaughan yes, but that shouldn't be a factor in his decision making because he isn't even in the position to purchase right now. 

FHA 203k is the best to acquire a building that meets value add criteria. The 3% conventional products you are referring to are called Fannie Mae Home Ready and Freddie Mac Home Possible. Any agency approved lender will be able to give you specific information to qualification as it regards to your scenario. Those programs do not include any repair funds, like 203k.

If your goal is forced equity through renovations coupled w/ low DP, then FHA 203k has been proven the best way to start if you're in need of primary residency.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Sep 28 2020, 07:40

@Eric Johnson

Yeah, but he didn't say anything about doing renos and needing a 203k option..

User Stats

Votes
Eric Johnson
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 28 2020, 07:42

@David M. If he hasn't done a deal, why not present options? He is not locked into a box and will probably consider all options and then make a choice, not the reverse... appreciate the feedback tho 

User Stats

Votes
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 28 2020, 07:47
Originally posted by @David M.:

@Eric Johnson

Yeah, but he didn't say anything about doing renos and needing a 203k option..

Seller preference for almost any type of loan except PITA FHA in a tight market isn't a factor apparently. Because the OP isn't there yet.

Learn something new everyday I guess😎

User Stats

Votes
Eric Johnson
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 28 2020, 08:08

@Steve Vaughan Yeah, except that's always viewed as an issue and not really a considerable factor in doing a deal because of a sellers preference. The main goal is to get an accepted offer on a property that works, if he has to submit 30 offers to get a deal, then that's what happens.

Also, many brokers/agents I know chastise VA loan for the same exact reasoning you are mentioning. However, this has little to do with the fact that it's a specific loan product rather than dealing with competent parties. If FHA standard 203k or streamlined 203k is his best option to yield him an ROI, then that's what it is...

By your logic, you are claiming that no one should use FHA financing because it'a a tight market, even though your notions ring true in every market cycle, for reasons mentioned above (see VA example). So, yes I am saying he shouldn't really GAS what particular sellers preference is if it's a first acquisition.

Just make sure it's a good deal and submit the offer... Don't know why this is so complicated.

User Stats

Votes
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 28 2020, 08:52
Originally posted by @Eric Johnson:

@Steve Vaughan Yeah, except that's always viewed as an issue and not really a considerable factor in doing a deal because of a sellers preference. The main goal is to get an accepted offer on a property that works, if he has to submit 30 offers to get a deal, then that's what happens.

Also, many brokers/agents I know chastise VA loan for the same exact reasoning you are mentioning. However, this has little to do with the fact that it's a specific loan product rather than dealing with competent parties. If FHA standard 203k or streamlined 203k is his best option to yield him an ROI, then that's what it is...

By your logic, you are claiming that no one should use FHA financing because it'a a tight market, even though your notions ring true in every market cycle, for reasons mentioned above (see VA example). So, yes I am saying he shouldn't really GAS what particular sellers preference is if it's a first acquisition.

Just make sure it's a good deal and submit the offer... Don't know why this is so complicated.

Eric, all I suggested was to go conventional if he can.

Nothing was said by him about 203k rehab loan or VA. If one has the extra couple % to put down on a normal transaction, conventional will have the fewest extra hurdles to jump over is all.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 28 2020, 11:00

There's a natural flow of ways to finance a purchase. Cash then conventional then VA if you can then FHA as a last resort. FHA, since 2010, has been the new subprime. It's no secret that the borrowers are harder to qualify and the appraisers are harder on the property. It's also no secret if you can put just 1.5% more down, your loan is a lot less expensive. The OP says he is saving to put 10% down which makes FHA a moot point.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Lynum
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leesburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leesburg, VA
Replied Sep 28 2020, 18:31

@Elijah Householder Based on your ability to make a down-payment of more than 3.5%, I would say get your credit score up as high as possible and go the conventional loan route!

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Sep 29 2020, 05:49

I'll beat the same dead horse that is....if you can make the conventional work do it, its the better option, but if you can't there is nothing wrong at all with FHA, and it's a great tool to get into a House hack. Thats what we did. You can always refi later back to conventional.