Hard money loans and seller occupied houses

Hard money loans and seller occupied houses

Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes

I have a pretty good prospect on My 1st fixed and flip house after putting up some bandit times around my area and was able to find a house valued around 200 K and asking prices around 120 K With about 15K work as far as I can tell. Now he asked me a pretty interesting question that I didn't really know about, and he wanted know if it would be possible to live in the house after I purchased from him for a short time until they find their own house to live in using the funds I've given them for the deed. I Will be financing this property the normal way using a hard money loan. Am I right to assume that a hard money lender would not approve of this And is it true that a hard money lender only lend if the house is vacant? It is easy to anticipate that quite a few things go wrong in this scenario, like they could take a very long time to find a house to live in, Even months, and things could get really ugly if I would be forced to evict them which could take who knows how long.

Is it unheard of to put into a contract saying that the seller has 2 weeks to move out of the house after the sale and The deed is transferred over Using a hard money loan?

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tommy AdeoyePro Member
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 87 votes
    6y

    I believe you are talking about the lease back option - situation where seller is seeking to occupy the property after closing.  I personally don't see why a hard money lender will be opposed to that idea. However, it would not hurt to pick up the phone, give them a call . 

    If your numbers check out ,  I (putting my legs in the lender shoes) will gladly jump on the deal. Do not hesitate to reach out to multiple lenders if you have a deal in your hands.

  • George DespotopoulosBusiness Member
    Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 936 posts · 287 votes
    6y

    @Tommy Adeoye makes some good points. Attractive numbers are important of course. But the main thing here is that it's your first flip and is already a little bit more complex/complicated than your traditional flip. There are a lot of variables and unknown here. Forget whether a hard money lender would fund you or not, as an investor I would be worried. This is a strange time with the virus and some markets have experienced major booms. I wouldn't want to be in a position where you can complete rehab/reno work because they're still living there. A hard money lender will still expect their monthly interest payment and when the term of the loan matures/expires in 6 or 12 months, you'll need to pay the principal back or risk being in default, which 1) will add a ton of fees/default interest and 2) may trigger a foreclosure proceeding. The other alternative is at maturity you extend but then have to pay an extension fee of 1% - 3%. 

    As a lender, I don't love this scenario. Lenders are not in the business of foreclosing and taking back properties. They are in the business of making good loans that pay off on time. 

    MoFin Lending4.9152 Reviews
  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I agree. I would simply ask them to use the funds I've given them and live out of a hotel for a month. I would even offer them $1000 out of my own pocket. I am pretty confident of a few hard money lenders lined up, and I also mentioned this would be my 1st flip, and they said the numbers work they are all game. I was also planning on utilising private money for the down payment for the hard money loan common which is usually about 10%. If this is possible , I will pursue it , but, at my also be tricky finding someone to lend for the down payment since it is also my 1st investment and I understand usually they prefer to work with investors who had a sum flips under the belt already.   I will see how this goes. Thanks guys!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 263 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    Hi @Tim Ivory

    I´ve bought a few houses where an agreement was signed allowing the seller to stay for up to 2-3 weeks post sale. It´s important to verify that they are actually getting organised to move. Make sure that the 2 week right to occupy is in the purchase agreement and even if it is only 7-14 days, additionally get them to sign a lease with a nominal rental payment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.